The next city election will be held on November 5, 2013 to elect a Mayor and all six Councilmembers.The Mayor and all Councilmembers are elected for two-year terms in November of odd-numbered years or until their successors have been elected and duly sworn. Newly elected Councilmembers and the Mayor take office on the second Monday following their election.
If you are interested in running for the office of Mayor or Councilmember in the November 5 election, you must receive a nomination and a second at the Nominating Caucus on Tuesday, October 1, 2013. The meeting will take place at 7:30 p.m. in the Takoma Park Community Center Auditorium.
- Notice of Nominating Caucus (PDF)
- Nominating Caucus Agenda (PDF)
- Nomination Caucus Information Page (results will be posted on Oct. 2)
Contact the City Clerk at JessieC@takomagov.org or at 301-891-7267 for additional information about running for office.
Qualifications for Election
Candidates for the office of Mayor must have resided in the city for at least six months immediately preceding his/her election, must be at least 18 years of age on the day of the election, and must be a qualified voter of the city. The Mayor must maintain principal residence in the city during his/her term of office. If the Mayor changes his/her principal residence from the city, the Mayor’s term shall be immediately terminated and the vacancy shall be filled as provided in Section 308 of the City Charter. The Mayor is prohibited from holding other publicly elected offices during his/her term of office, and is prohibited from serving on any city board, commission, or other body that has authority to adjudicate or otherwise resolve disputes.
Candidates for the office of Councilmember shall have resided in the city (and ward from which they are elected) for at least six months immediately preceding their election, must be at least 18 years of age on the day of the election, and shall be qualified voters of the city. The Councilmembers shall maintain their principal residence in the city and in their ward during their term of office. If a Councilmember changes his/her principal residence from the city or from the ward from which the Councilmember was elected, the Councilmember’s term shall be immediately terminated and the vacancy shall be filled as provided in Section 308 of the City Charter. The Councilmembers are prohibited from holding other publicly elected offices during their term of office, and are prohibited from serving on any city board, commission, or other body that has authority to adjudicate or otherwise resolve disputes.
Write-In Candidates for the Election
Any write-in candidate for Mayor or Councilmember who wishes to be pre-registered as a write-in candidate and to have her/his name posted in the voting booth for the purpose of identifying her/him as a candidate for office, must file her/his name with the City Clerk by 5 p.m. on the Friday prior to the election.
Any person nominated or presenting herself/himself as a write-in candidate must meet the qualifications of the office for which s/he is nominated. A person whose name appears on the ballot may not register as a write-in candidate, and a person may only register as a write-in candidate for one office in any election.
Candidates' Access to Muti-unit Buildings
Candidate Information Package - November 5, 2013 City Election
- 2013 Election Calendar for Candidates (PDF)
- Certificate of Candidacy Form (PDF) (file by Monday, October 7)
- Instructions for Candidate Statement and Photo for City Newsletter (PDF) (file by 12 noon, Friday, October 11 )
- Financial Disclosure Statement and Conflict of Interest Form (PDF) (file by 5 pm, Monday, October 7 ) If the candidate fails to file this statement by the deadline, the candidate is deemed to have withdrawn the candidacy. A write-in candidate seeking to have his or her name posted in the voting booth must file this statement by 5 p.m. on Friday, November 1.
- Campaign Contribution Report (PDF) (file initial report by 5 pm, Friday, October 25; file final report by 4 pm, Monday, November 12)
- Challenger and Watcher Certification (PDF) (file by 5 pm, Monday, November 4 or bring to the polling place and present to the Chief Judge on election day.)
- Information and Application to Receive Registered Voter Information for the City of Takoma Park (PDF)
- Information on Campaign Signs and "Political Matter" (PDF)
- Notice of Campaign Actvity (PDF)
- Election Results - 1991 - 2009 (PDF)
- Application for Absenttee Ballot by Registerd Voters (PDF)
- Ward Map & Street Directory
- Community Association Information (request this from the City Clerk)
- City Charter
- Takoma Park Code, Title 2, Administration
- Takoma Park Code, Title 3, Ethics
- Takoma Park Code, Title 5, Elections
- "The Council-Manager Form of Government: Answers to Your Questions" (PDF) (from ICMA)