The Takoma Park City Council is considering a number of changes to its housing code (Title 6 Housing). These changes include, for example, an expanded definition of rent, clarification of when and how utility costs may be transferred to a tenant, and minor modifications to rent stabilization. Among the changes being considered are two new provisions. The first provision would require landlords to distribute city-provided electoral information to new tenants. The second provision would, with restrictions, require landlords to provide candidates for office access to multi-unit rental buildings and allow them to canvass individual tenants.
A public hearing on the proposed revisions will be held by the City Council at 7:30 pm on Monday, May 20 at the Takoma Park Community Center.
We invite you to comment on the proposed changes and encourage you to participate in the public discussion. Material provided to the Council can be accessed at these links:
- 6.04 General Provisions, 6.40 Violations and Enforcement (PDF)
- 6.08 Rental Housing Licenses and Commercial Occupancy Licenses, 6.12 Property Maintenance Code, 6.28 Sale of Rental Facilities (PDF)
- 6.16 Landlord Tenant Relations (PDF)
- 6.20 Rent Stabilization, 6.36 Unsafe Buildings - Public Nuisance Abatement (PDF)
- 6.24 Commission on Landlord Tenant Affairs, 6.32 Tenant Opportunity to Purchase (PDF)
All interested persons should attend the public hearing. Written comments may be submitted to the City Clerk at email@example.com or by mail to:
Jessie Carpenter, City Clerk
City of Takoma Park
7500 Maple Avenue
Takoma Park, MD 20912