Renovating Property in the Historic District
Established in 1992, the Takoma Park Historic District is the largest historic district in Montgomery County and includes several residential and commercial neighborhoods including Takoma Old Town and Takoma Junction.
A Historic Area Work Permit (HAWP) is required prior to undertaking any proposed changes to the exterior of a structure or to the environmental setting of the site in the historic district. This includes moving, demolishing or altering the exterior of a house, building or other structure.
Applications are reviewed by the Montgomery County Historic Preservation Commission (HPC) and must be approved before a permit for the work may be issued. Commercial property owners will also need to present their proposal before the Takoma Park Facade Advisory Board (FAB) prior to review by the Historic Preservation Commission.
For additional information, please call Montgomery County's Historic Preservation Section at 301-563-3400.
Searching for Property in the Historic District
To search for properties listed in the “Locational Atlas and Index of Historic Sites in Montgomery County” use the Historic Preservation Interactive Map. The Historic Preservation Plan (1992) which describes each historic resource in Takoma Park can be purchased from:
Montgomery County Silver Spring Planning Office Information Counter
8787 Georgia Avenue
Silver Spring, MD 20910 (MAP )
Learn more about the City’s history in the About Takoma Park section of the site.
Additional Historic Preservation Resources
- Historic Preservation Grant Fund
- Historic Preservation Tax Credit Programs
- Main Street Takoma Revolving Loan Fund (PDF)
Design Guidelines and Technical Assistance
- Design Guidelines for Commercial Properties in the City of Takoma Park (PDF)
- Secretary of the Interior's Standards for the Treatment of Historic Properties
- National Park Service Technical Preservation Services
Historic Preservation Organizations
- Historic Takoma, Inc.
- Main Street Takoma
- Preservation Maryland
- Montgomery County Historic Preservation Office
- District of Columbia Historic Preservation Office
- Maryland Historical Trust
- National Park Service
- National Trust for Historic Preservation
- National Main Street Center