Rental Housing Licensing

Rental Housing Licensing Header Image

The City of Takoma Park requires the licensing of all rental housing. The following is a summary of the general licensing requirements found in Takoma Park Code Chapter 6.08 Rental Housing LicensesCity Code & Charter link icon

Types of Rental Housing Licenses

There are three types of rental housing licenses issued by the City of Takoma Park — annual, biennial, and temporary. The most frequently issued license is the annual license, which is valid for a 12-month period and runs from January 1 through December 31.

License Application

A license application must be completed prior to the issuance of a new rental housing license, the renewal of an existing license or the transfer of an existing license to a new property owner.

Change in Ownership or Rental Status

Landlords are required by law to notify the City within 15 business days of any change in the ownership or management of a rental property. This policy includes changes in mailing addresses and telephone numbers, as well as when the property is no longer available for rent.

License and Transfer Fees

A license fee, based on the number of rental units in the property, must be paid in full prior to the issuance of a required license. The fee is established on an annual basis and cannot be prorated or waived. An additional transfer fee is required when transferring ownership of a rental property.

Landlord Certification

A Landlord Certification must be obtained prior to the issuance of any rental housing license. The certification remains valid for a period of three years and can be obtained by attending one of the seminars offered by the City on a monthly basis OR by successfully completing a written exam.

Lead Poisoning Prevention Compliance

State law and the Maryland Department of the Environment (MDE) external link icon lead poisoning prevention regulations require the registration and/or certification of all rental housing properties built before 1950. All rental properties must be registered with the MDE and a copy of the MDE Certificate of each individual rental unit must be on file with the City before a license will be issued.

Property Inspection

The City Code requires the inspection of all rental units to ensure compliance with the City’s Property Maintenance Code. Inspections are conducted by Montgomery County’s Department of Housing and Community Affairs (DHCA).  Identified code violations must be corrected before a license will be issued by the City. Failure to correct the identified violation in a timely manner may result in the issuance of a citation, and a fine and/or the revocation or suspension of an existing rental housing license.

external link icon External Links. The City of Takoma Park does not endorse, review, control, or recommend viewpoints, materials, or products contained in third party websites, unless noted.

City Code & Charter link icon The online Charter and Code are published on the Code Publishing Company website. The City Clerk's Office has the official version of the Takoma Park Municipal Charter and Code. Users should contact the City Clerk's Office for ordinances passed subsequent to the ordinance cited on the Code Publishing Company website.