On September 29, 2014, Washington Adventist Hospital (WAH) submitted a new application for approval to move most of its hospital facilities to a site in the White Oak area. The application for a Certificate of Need (CON) for the new hospital will be considered by the Maryland Health Care Commission (MHCC) over the coming months. A copy of the application document is available below. Besides the main application document, there are many exhibits of interest in the Appendix. All exhibits and the application are available for download and review as PDF below. A summary of WAH's plan for the Takoma Park campus is in Exhibit 6.
Washington Adventist Hospital is proposing to leave a number of health services on its Takoma Park campus, including a rehabilitation center, urgent care services, prenatal services, wound care, laboratory services, and its inpatient adult psychiatric care center. Washington Adventist University may lease some of the hospital building for university facilities. Some physician offices would remain on the site or in the medical office building adjacent to the hospital. Much of the existing hospital building would be vacant space that may be available to rehabilitate and lease at a later date.
The City of Takoma Park will be closely following the review of the application and will be interested to hear from residents about the proposal. Questions about the project may be directed to City Manager Suzanne Ludlow.
- Link to video of Takoma Park's January 20, 2015 Public Hearing
- Video presentation by Robert Jepson of WAH to the City Council on September 15, 2014
City Council Resolution
Resolution 2015-5 was adopted by the City Council on January 26, 2015. The resolution to available here and on the City Council Resolutions (2015) page:
- Resolution Commenting on the Certificate of Need Application Filed by Adventist Healthcare to Relocate the Washington Adventist Hospital Acute Care License and Certain Services to White Oak In Proceedings Before the Maryland Health Care Commission, Docket No. 13-15-2349 (PDF)
Application for Certificate of Need and Exhibits
All files PDF
- Application for Certificate of Need (September 2014)
- Exhibits 1 - 9
- Exhibits 10 - 18
- Exhibits 19 - 27
- Exhibits 28 - 36
- Exhibits 37 - 45
- Exhibits 46 - 54
- Exhibits 55 - 63
- Exhibits 64 - 72
- Exhibits 73 - 81
- Exhibits 82 - 89
- Additional information from Washington Adventist Hospital, November 10, 2014.
- December 4, 2014 letter from MHCC with questions
- December 12, 2014 letter from Washington Adventist Hospital with responses
- December 22, 2014 letter from MHCC with questions
- January 6, 2015 letter
Documents & Submissions
The following documents are presented in reverse date order.
(Updated on April 20, 2015)