City of Takoma Park Police Department
* 7500 Maple Avenue * Takoma Park, Md 20912
For more information contact:
Public Information Officer (PIO)
April 21, 2014 (2:16 pm)
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
** This incident is being investigated by the Maryland-National Capital Park Police and any information should be relayed to them at 301-949-8010 **
The Maryland-National Capital Park Police are seeking the public's assistance in identifying a suspect in a sexual assault which occurred on Sligo Creek Parkway between Maple Avenue and Piney Branch Road. On today's' date, April 21, 2014, at approximately 7:10 am, a female victim was jogging the Sligo Creek trail between Maple Avenue and Piney Branch Road. The victim initially passed the suspect on the trail, and then turned around to head back down the trail. As she passed the suspect a second time, the suspect grabbed her "buttocks" as she passed him. The victim and suspect fled in opposite directions.
The victim described the suspect as a stocky black male, approximately 5'10'; last seen wearing black sweat pants and a blue hoodie. The suspects face was partially concealed by the hoodie.
The suspect was gone upon arrival of Park Police. A lookout was broadcast to other agencies and the immediate area was searched with negative results.
Anyone with any information as to the identity of the suspect or any information regarding this incident is urged to call the Maryland-National Capital Park Police at 301-949-8010. The Park Police have increased patrols on the Sligo Creek trail during all hours of operation.
Additionally, the Maryland-National Capital Park Police offer the following advice to trail users:
* Avoid dark, vacant, or deserted areas; use well-lit and traveled areas.
* Avoid walking alone with a music player and earphones; you can't hear people approaching from behind. If you must, then use only one side.
* Dress in clothes and shoes that will not hamper movement.
* Be alert and aware of your surroundings at all times.
* Report suspicious activity to Park Police at 301-949-8010.
Use your cell phone to send an anonymous tip to the Takoma Park Police Department.
- Text to 847411
- Type TPPDTIP at the beginning of your message.
- Type your message, including as much detail as possible, to ensure that your tip is thoroughly investigated.
If you see a crime in progress, contact the Takoma Park Police at 301-270-1100. If you need to report an emergency that involves the need for fire or rescue services, call 9-1-1.