The City of Takoma Park requires that all multifamily and commercial properties provide tenants an opportunity to recycle. Takoma Park Code Chapter 10.14 was amended in July, 2015 to mandate recycling in multifamily facilities.
About Recycling at Business & Institutional Properties
The City of Takoma Park does not provide waste collection services for businesses and institutions. Property owners and managers are responsible for managing waste and recycling collection on their site.
Business Recycling Requirements
Mandatory requirements for all property owners or managers set forth by Takoma Park Code Chapter 10.14 are:
- Provide sufficient common recycling bins to hold the amount of recyclable materials generated at the property between collections.
- Provide recycling collection at least once per week. The property owner or business must collect recyclables from the property or contract with a licensed hauler for the service. Depending on the terms of the applicable lease, it is the responsibility of each business or commercial property owner to have recyclable materials collected and delivered to a licensed collection facility.
- Make the common recyclable collection bins visible and at least as accessible as common refuse collection bins.
- Post a notice of the recycling requirements where common refuse and recycling bins are located. Recycling instructions provided by the licensed contractor or a City of Takoma Park recycling notice must be posted where common refuse and recycling bins are located. City notices are available for download in the Business & Multifamily Recycling Resources table below or available for pick-up at the Public Works Facility located at 31 Oswego Ave, Silver Spring, MD 20910.
- Provide proof of participation in the recycling program. A valid and current contract with a licensed recycling collector and a copy of the collector’s license or one year of receipts for delivery of recyclable materials to licensed recycling facility serves as a proof of participation.
Important Business Recycling Information
Commercial properties may contract with private haulers or self haul to a licensed collection facility.
Contact a Hauler
Check with your current trash service provider about recycling as it can be cost effective to have the same hauler for trash and recycling services.
To help find a hauler, the City has created a list of refuse and recycling haulers that serves the Washington, D.C. metro area. This list is available in the Business & Multifamily Recycling Resources table below.
Montgomery County has trash and recycling drop-off locations. For details visit the Drop-off Locations and Hours for Recyclables and Trash page on the Montgomery County’s Department of Environment Protection website.
Proof of Montgomery County residency or evidence that waste was generated in Montgomery County is required to drop off at any of these locations.
Polystyrene Ban: The City of Takoma Park has a polystyrene ban in place. Polystyrene (look for plastic code #6) is not recyclable. Visit the Polystyrene Ban page page for more details.
Business Recycling Resources
Business & Multifamily Recycling Resources
|Resource & Link||Description||Type|
|Multifamily Annual Recycling Report (Online)||Multifamily with private collection are required to file this recycling report. Form can be submitted online.||online form|
|Multifamily Annual Recycling Report (Print)||Multifamily with private collection are required to file this report. Completed forms can be mailed or faxed.|
|City of Takoma Park Recycling Notice||Required printable notice for multifamily units to be posted where common refuse and recycling bins are located. (11" x 17")|
|Recyclable Items in Takoma Park||Printable document detailing what can be recycled in Takoma Park. (8.5" x 11")|
|Refuse & Recycling Haulers List||List of refuse and recycling haulers that serve the Washington D.C. metro area.||Excel|
What Can Be Recycled in Takoma Park
Businesses and multifamily residences that receive collection service from the City of Takoma Park are required to recycle the following items below. Businesses and multifamily properties that receive collection from a private hauler must follow the instructions provided by their hauler.
Recycling in Takoma Park
|metal||aerosol cans||must be empty|
|metal||aluminum foil||Must be free of food.|
|paper||boxboard||cereal boxes, inserts in packaging|
|paper||cardboard boxes||flatten or nest if possible|
|paper||envelopes||with or without windows|
|plastic||plastic bottles||containers for drinks, shampoo, etc||must be marked with a universal recyclable symbol #1 through #5|
|plastic||plastic jars||containers for yogurt, peanut butter, etc||must be marked with a universal recyclable symbol #1 through #5|
|plastic||plastic buckets||containers for ice cream, kitty litter, detergent, paint||must be marked with a universal recyclable symbol #1 through #5|
|plastic||plastic tubs||containers for ice cream, margarine, yogurt, etc||must be marked with a universal recyclable symbol #1 through #5|
|plastic||flower pots||must be empty and free of dirt|