Renovating your new home or adding a deck? Redeveloping your property? Throwing a party? Thinking of renting your house? Whether you're modifying a structure, renting a property, or cutting down a tree in Takoma Park, you're responsible for getting the right permits before you begin. Review the information below to help you find the correct department to contact.
Housing & Community Development
Note: Some projects are required to meet certain development standards and to go through a comprehensive review process. Additional information can be found in Community Planning - Development Standards.
Any renovation, building, or outdoor (fence, deck, driveway) project that requires a permit from the Montgomery County Department of Permitting Serices first requires a Permit Letter from Takoma Park. To request a Permit Letter, call 301-891-7119 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Rental Housing License
All residential rental properties, including single-family homes, require a Rental License. When purchasing a rental property, the new owner is also required to register the transfer of the rental property within 15 days of the sale.
For complete information and all applicable documents covering Rental Housing Licensing visit the Rental Housing Licensing page.
The City Clerk is responsible for issuing permits and licenses for the items listed below. Please follow the links below to apply for the appropriate permit before starting a project. If a permit material is currently unavailable on-line please contact the City Clerk directly.
- Street Closure for Block Parties: Residential street closure for block parties requires a permit. Submit an application at least seven days in advance. For County and State roads, there is a different process. Petition to Close Street (PDF)
- Public Event: Required for festivals and parades.
- Sidewalk Sale: A permit is required to use the public right of way to display merchandise or have café tables in commercial areas. Sidewalk Sale Permit Application (PDF)
- Vendor: A Vendor Permit is required for all roaming vendors (i.e. ice cream trucks), door-to-door vendors, and fixed location vendors (including food trucks).
Need more information or a permit application not currently available online? Contact the City Clerk:
The Takoma Park Police Department is responsible for issuing permits for the items listed below. Please follow the links below to apply for the appropriate permit before starting a project. If a permit material is currently unavailable on-line please contact the The Takoma Park Police Department directly.
- Parking: A Permit-Area Parking permit is required to park in designated Permit Parking Areas.
The Public Works Department is responsible for issuing permits for the items listed below. Please follow the links below to apply for the appropriate permit before starting a project. If permit material is currently unavailable on-line please contact the Public Works Department directly.
- Dumpster or Storage Pod Permit: Application For Placement Of Construction Dumpster Or Storage Container In City Right-Of-Way
- Driveway Apron: Driveway Apron Permit
- Fence Permit: Application For Location Of Fence In Public Right-Of-Way/Easement
- Trees: Request for Tree Impact Assessment, Tree Protection Plan Agreement, Tree Removal Application
- Stormwater: Application for Stormwater Management Concept Approval, Application For Stormwater Management Permit
- Work In the Right-of-Way Permit: Application For Construction Utility Grading In Right Of Way
The City requires PEPCO, Verizon, Washington Gas and Cable companies to apply for permits when working in the right of way.