The Public Works Department collects household trash from all single family homes and most small apartment buildings within the City of Takoma Park. Residential trash collection is a curbside service and is offered once a week.
Important trash collection information:
- Trash collection service begins at 6:30 AM.
- Trash should be set out in cans with lids the night before your household's collection day.
- The trash collection schedule is subject to holiday changes. The "Holiday Collection Schedule" page details how the schedule is set and when collection dates are changed due to a holiday.
- There is a fifty pound weight limit on trash cans.
- Unacceptable items will remain on the curb. See the "Not Accepted Trash Collection Items" section below for details.
- Don't have a trash can? Public Works has trash carts for sale. See the "Trash Carts for Sale" section below for details.
- Furniture, appliances or other large items require an appointment and payment of a fee. See the "Large Item Pickup" section below for details.
Public Works also offers a food waste collection and recycling programs for residents interested in disposing of household waste in an environmentally sustainable way. The "Food Waste Collection" and "Recycling Collection" pages have comprehensive information on each program.
Not sure when your collection day is? Visit the "Curbside Collection Schedules & Maps" page for more info.
The following items are not collected at any time by Public Works:
- automotive parts, engines or tires
- cast iron
- concrete, plaster or drywall, construction or demolition debris
- dirt and rocks
- hazardous materials.
- logs, stumps, large branches
Contact a private hauler to make arrangements for disposal of these items.
Public Works holds an annual hazardous household waste drop-off day to assist residents with safely disposing of hazardous household chemicals. Visit "Household Hazardous Waste Drop-Off Day" for more information.
Public Works has 96 and 64 gallon trash carts available for sale. Carts have lids, wheels, and handles.
Trash Cart Pricing
$61.72 | 96 gallon trash carts
$55.36 | 64 gallon trash carts
How to Purchase Trash Carts
Check or Money Order: Check or money order payments can be made at the Public Works Facility. The Public Works Facility is located at 31 Oswego Avenue, Silver Spring, MD 20910.
Cash or Credit: Cash and credit payments must be made at the Finance Department's payment counter located at the Takoma Park Community Center – Sam Abbott Citizens’ Center on the third floor. The Community Center is located at 7500 Maple Avenue, Takoma Park, MD 20912.
Trash carts can be picked up at the Public Works Facility during office hours, 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM, Monday through Friday. Arrangements can be made to deliver the cart once payment has been received if you do not have a vehicle large enough to haul the trash cart.
Heavy items like appliances, mattresses, and furniture are picked up by appointment only. There is a $10 charge for the collection of up to three items. To schedule a pick up please call Public Works at 301-891-7633.
Refrigerant containing appliances (refrigerators, freezers and air conditioners) require special handling and Public Works does not collect them. You can self-haul or hire a private hauler to take freon containing appliances to the Montgomery County Transfer Station. The utility company Pepco also has an appliance recycling program and will pay individuals $50.00 to recycle old working refrigerators or freezers and $25 for old, working room air conditioners. Details are available on https://homeenergysavings.pepco.com/appliance-recycling-program.