Energy Action Month
October is Energy Action Month!
Takoma Park Mayor Kate Stewart has declared October 5, 2018 Energy Efficiency Day. This proclamation coincides with the launch of Takoma Park’s Energy Awareness Month community action campaign to help residents save energy. Three great opportunities to participate are below. For tips on DIY projects you can do at home to save energy visit: https://mygreenmontgomery.org/2017/energy-action-month/
1. Beginning on Friday, October 5, 2018 and lasting through October 31, 2018 residents can exchange up to 2 old incandescent and CFL light bulbs at Public Works during business hours for brand new LED bulbs. The new LED bulbs are all warm white 40 and 60 watt equivalent type A bulbs. Household LED bulbs can last 10 years or more, use 75% less energy than incandescent and use 5-10% less energy than CFLs.
What: Up to 2 LED bulbs per person, must exchange incandescent or CFL; No repeats
When: 10/05/2018 – 10/31/2018; M-F 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM
Where: Takoma Park Public Works
31 Oswego Avenue
Silver Spring, MD 20910
2. Montgomery County Department of Environmental Protection is hosting a presentation at Long Branch Senior Center to share information on energy conservation, efficiency and renewable energy options. The presentation will be interactive and participants will receive an energy saving measure.
When: Tuesday, October 15, 11:00 AM – 12:00 PM Where: Long Branch Senior Center, 8700 Piney Branch Rd, Silver Spring, MD 20901
3. Seniors, low income, and disabled residents can receive FREE weatherization services (homeowners only).
To participate the homeowner must allow WGL/Washington Gas to install the energy efficiency measures below. The homeowner must provide assurance that he or she will be home on Saturday, Nov. 3, 2018 to give Washington Gas/WGL access to perform the services. The following services will be provided free of charge:
- Installation of plastic on windows (maximum of eight)
- Caulking around doors and windows
- Installation of weather stripping (maximum of two doors)
- Installation of kitchen faucet aerator (maximum of one)
- Installation of bathroom faucet aerators (maximum of two)
- Application of clear glass patch tape on cracked windows
To participate please contact Pazit Aviv with your full name, address, main phone number, alternate number.
Montgomery County Aging and Disability Services
401 Hungerford Drive 4th Floor
Rockville, MD 20850