Inaugural Message from Mayor Kate Stewart
From Kate Stewart, Mayor of Takoma Park:
Takoma Park is a wonderful place. From the surrounding natural environment and parks, to the eclectic businesses and restaurants, to our strong tradition of progressive values, we are a vibrant and unique community. As we start this next chapter in our City’s history, we need to protect and maintain what makes Takoma Park special and take advantage of opportunities to make our community an even better place for ALL our residents.
As a City, we will:
- Strive to be a leader and a model for how government and community can work together to bring about meaningful change and progress. We will work to create an even more efficient government, with greater opportunities for residents to engage in building community.
- Ensure environmental sustainability is a component of decision-making, promote even greater energy efficiency, and adopt greener practices to demonstrate leadership in sustainability and to leave a healthy planet for our children.
- Provide safe places and expand opportunities for young people to develop, thrive, and build skills to succeed in the community and in life.
- Actively work at being inclusive so that everyone who lives here feels part of the community.
- Create and maintain a livable community that is vibrant, healthy, and safe for all of its residents.
- Promote affordable housing, public transportation initiatives, redevelopment projects, and other measures designed to make the City accessible to residents of all economic and cultural backgrounds.
We have an amazing community of engaged residents, a beautiful natural environment and many opportunities to make life even better for all residents. I am very fortunate to live in such a wonderful place and look forward to serving Takoma Park.