Register to Vote
Who is eligible to register to vote
City residents age 16 and older may register and vote in City of Takoma Park elections for Mayor and City Council.
Most residents of the City can register using the Maryland Voter Registration if they meet all of these conditions:
- Citizen of the United States
- At least 16 years of age
- Does not claim the right to vote as a resident elsewhere
- Not incarcerated or under supervision due to a felony convictions
- Not convicted of buying or selling votes.
- Voters must have resided within the City of Takoma Park for at least 21 days before the election in order to be eligible to vote.
City residents who are not citizens of the United States can register to vote in Takoma Park elections by completing the Takoma Park Voter Registration Application. See below for “How to register with the Takoma Park Voter Registration Application.”
How to register with the Maryland Voter Registration Application
- Register online through the Maryland State Board of Elections or
- Print the Maryland Voter Registration Application, follow all instructions to complete the application, sign it, and mail it to the Montgomery County Board of Elections, PO Box 4333, Rockville, MD 20849-4333.
How to register with the Takoma Park Voter Registration Application
- Complete the fillable Takoma Park Voter Registration Application online or print and complete.
- Follow all instructions to complete the application
- Sign the application
- Bring it to the City Clerk’s Office along with the required identification and/or proof of residency, or
- Mail the application along with a photocopy of the required identification and/or proof of residency.
When to register
- For City Elections, residents may register any time, up to and including the day of the election.
- From the 21st day before a Takoma Park city election up to Election Day, applicants should register in person at the City Clerk’s Office. At all other times, applications may be mailed to the appropriate election authority:
- For Takoma Park only registrants, mail to the City Clerk’s Office.
- For State of Maryland registrants, mail to the Montgomery County Board of Elections.