About Transportation Planning in Takoma Park
The transportation planning process improves mobility and accessibility by working with the public to identify land use and travel patterns that affect traffic congestion and air quality. Information about use of roadways, bicycle paths, sidewalks, transit, and future land use development can help to predict travel patterns and transportation network use. Much transportation planning is done at a regional level as most travelers cross local jurisdictions and because pollution concerns caused by vehicle travel are a region-wide problem.
The City of Takoma Park coordinates with the National Capital Region Transportation Planning Board on regional transportation plans and with the Montgomery County Planning Department on transportation master plans that impact the city. The City also works with the Maryland Department of Transportation and the Maryland State Highway Administration on projects in Takoma Park.
Montgomery County and the State of Maryland have published a variety of transportation plans impacting Takoma Park.
- A supplement to the Takoma Park Master Plan (2000) addresses pedestrian and bicycle routes in the City.
- Countywide Bikeways Functional Master Plan (2005). This plan is being updated between 2015-2017. Visit the project website to track progress and get involved.
- Purple Line Functional Master Plan (2010).
- Countywide Transit Corridors Functional Master Plan (2013).
- Maryland Bicycle and Pedestrian Master Plan (2014).
The City maintains signed, on-street bike routes connecting commercial districts, the Takoma Park Community Center, and transit facilities with regional trails. Use the Takoma Park Bike Map (PDF) to plan your route, available for free from public buildings and bike shops in the City. Learn more about Takoma Park’s Bikeways Program.
Projects & Studies
The following studies have examined and proposed transportation alternatives and improvements within the City.
- MD 410 at MD 195: Intersection Study — Phase II (2016)
- MD 410 at MD 195: Intersection Study (2015)
- MD 410 at MD 195: Intersection Study — Supplemental Diagrams (2015)
- New Hampshire Avenue Multiway Boulevard Feasibility Study (2013).
- C2/C4 Metrobus Study, En Español (2013).
- F4/F6 Metrobus Study, En Español (2012).
- K6 Metrobus Study, En Español (2011).
- Takoma Junction Intersection Feasibility Study (PDF, 2008).
- Takoma/Langley Crossroads Pedestrian Access and Mobility Study (PDF, 2007).
- Takoma Transportation Study (PDF, 2003).