Up to Code Grants
Qualified applicants are eligible for a grant up to $10,000 to bring a unit into code-compliance in response to issues identified by County inspectors during an ADU permit application inspection. The grant will be paid to the applicant as a reimbursement for approved work, or directly to the licensed contractor. Grants will be awarded on a first-come, first-served basis to those applicants fully meeting the requirements.
In order to be considered for an Up to Code grant, applicants must:
- Be a resident of Takoma Park, and the owner of record of the Takoma Park property for which the application is being made.
- Have completed the initial inspection portion of Montgomery County’s ADU permitting process, and received an inspection report which identifies an outstanding violation that the applicant does not have the resources to complete
- Be current on the property’s taxes and mortgage,
- Have an income not exceeding 150% of Area Median Income (AMI). (see table below)
- Commit to completing Montgomery County’s ADU permitting process as well as the City of Takoma Park’s Rental Housing Licensing process.
- Agree to comply with all ADU regulations.
In addition to completing the application, the following documentation must be submitted:
- Current mortgage statement or documentation of forbearance.
- Proof of income (e.g. W2s, paystubs, or other income documentation).
- Current ADU Inspection report from Montgomery County identifying issues to be abated.
- Estimates from at least two licensed contractors for the needed work.
Up to Code Income Limits
Total household income for eligible applicants in the 2021 Fiscal Year must be below 150% of the Area Median Income, as shown in the table below.
|Household Size||Income Limit (200% of Area Median Income)|
How to Apply
- Review the eligibility requirements and assemble the required documentation.
- Complete the online application form.
- Required documentation can be uploaded as part of the application itself, or emailed separately to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Staff will contact applicants upon receipt of application and materials to confirm eligibility and status of application.