Police Explorer Program
Are you between the ages of 14 – 20?
Are you interested in a career in law enforcement?
The mission of the Takoma Park Police Explorer Program is to guide young adults to a better path for the future through training, leadership, teamwork, discipline, friendship, and to assist the Takoma Park Police Department and the residents of Takoma Park through community service. It’s a chance to change, a direction for growth, a look toward the future, and a safe place to be.
Meetings and Activities
Meetings are held every Thursday evening from 6:00 to 8:00 at the Takoma Park Police Department, 7500 Maple Avenue, Takoma Park, Maryland 20912.
Explorers are offered numerous opportunities throughout the year to assist, i.e., the July 4th festival/parade, National Night Out, Folk Festival, Street Festival and many other events!
All Explorers have the opportunity to earn community service hours for community events and training.
Explorers are expected to keep good grades in school and maintain a high level of respect and good conduct at all times.
- gain exposure to various criminal justice careers and have positive interactions with law enforcement professionals.
- obtain “hands-on” experience and awareness of the criminal justice system, which can help Explorers make an informed decision on a career in law enforcement or a related field.
- gain interpersonal growth through self-discipline, teamwork, challenging experiences, and high standards of performance and personal conduct.
- obtain enhanced character development and improved physical and mental fitness.
- learn responsibility to self and others through leadership and opportunities.
- get involved in community service and networking activities by assisting sponsoring agency in supplementary law enforcement.
- are introduced to specialty units, such as K9, Emergency Response Team (ERT), Criminal Investigations Division (CID), Community Policing, CPR/1st Aid, etc.
- have the opportunity to ride with a patrol officer and experience the job through the eyes of an officer.
- receive extensive training in various techniques used by law enforcement professionals, such as traffic stops, building searches, search and seizure/arrest techniques, etc.
Joining is Easy!
Fill out the Youth Participation Form and pay the annual participation fee.
Applications are available at the Takoma Park Police Department, 7500 Maple Avenue, Takoma Park, Maryland 20912 for click the link: Application
Come experience real world career skills, leadership skills that employer’s desire, conflict resolution, problem solving, relationship skills and ethical decision making.
*Due to the sensitive nature of law enforcement operations, most law enforcement explorer posts have additional requirements, including the successful completion of a background check, maintaining a minimum 2.0 grade point average, and being a person of good conduct and high moral character.*