Class of 2020 Seniors Congratulatory Drive
The Drive Was Successful!
Congratulations Class of 2020; graduating from high school is a momentous occasion! Unfortunately, Covid-19 has caused the reorganization of graduation activities. This has led to disappointment for many. The City of Takoma Park wants to bring some excitement to the graduating class. We had a “Congratulatory Drive” on Saturday, June 13th to celebrate this milestone from 3:00 – 4:30 pm. This event allowed our graduates to be showcased through Takoma Park and will give residents the opportunity to share their enthusiasm for graduates.
We encouraged all residents who are on the route to join in the fun of recognizing our 2020 graduates. Showing their best wishes by decorating lawns, make signs, etc. Please practice social distancing at all times.
Takoma Radio broadcasted this event on 94.3 FM and also takomaradio.org. Each of the graduates was announced along with other pertinent information. We are happy to report we had over 100 names submitted by the deadline!
Check out a recording of Takoma Radio’s Graduation Show here!
This has been a difficult ending to the school year for all our graduates. During this journey they have experienced many emotions and have accepted the challenges of the new reality we are currently living in. They have shown their resolve, their problem-solving, their resiliency, their gratitude and their empathy for others. It is obvious that the Class of 2020 are incredible leaders! Rest assured; our future is in great hands as these graduates are our future leaders.
Congratulatory Drive Guidelines
Takoma Park is proud to help celebrate its 2020 High School Graduates by hosting a “Congratulatory Drive” around the City. In order to remain safe during this event, please follow the below guidelines for participants and spectators.
- One household per car.
- In order to maintain safe roads please follow all standard traffic laws.
- Cars can be decorated, but must be secure and not impair drivers’ vision.
- Please stay in your car at all times.
- Please do not pass anything between cars.
- Help us avoid traffic jams by not stopping along the parade route.
- Maintain a physical distance of at least 6ft at all times.
- Avoid routes that will not allow you to maintain a safe distance from others.
- If you plan to bikeshare sanitize bike handlebars before and after use.
- Wear a mask, buff, or other face covering while riding to protect yourself and others.
- Follow all standard traffic laws.
- Don’t forget to wear your mask and follow social distance guidelines with those not living in your household.
- Spectators are encouraged to decorate their yards, windows etc. in support of the graduates.
- Please avoid giving anything to the graduates as they drive by or asking them to stop for a picture.