Virtual Community Center
Welcome to the City of Takoma Park’s Virtual Community Center. While the community follows state and county orders to stay at home to mitigate the spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19), the City has gathered resources to help the community maintain healthy lives; have meaningful, safe social interactions virtually; and keep children educated and entertained at home. Our Virtual Community Center is Takoma Park’s one-stop-shop for FREE recreational and educational resources (in-person and online) as we continue to do our part to slow the progression of COVID-19.
For more information on the City’s measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in our community, and the most up-to-date information on this rapidly evolving situation, visit our Information and Resources – Covid-19 Response page.
This past Fall we were able to offer in-person classes! We followed the latest CDC guidelines for small group classes while offering classes outside. We are ready to offer more in-person, outdoor classes this spring and summer! Registration was required as space was very limited. Please note there is no restroom access or water fountains – be prepared!
Check out our new in-person classes this spring!
- Bingo (ages 55+ starts May 25th)
- Zumba (ages 16+) (No Class 8/7)
- Wellness Walk in the Park (Coming Soon!)
- Mindful Movement (grades 6-12th starts on Tuesdays, May 25th)
- Mindful Movement (grades 6-12th starts on Thursdays, May 27th)
- Art in the Park (ages 11-15 starts May 18th)
- Hands on Gardening (ages 7-13 starts June 5th)
In-Person Class Guidelines
- Maximum of 20 participants, remaining at least 6 feet apart at all times (including during water breaks and explanation of drills, exercises, etc.)
- During class, the instructor and students are allowed to take off their masks when they are physically distant from others (6 or more feet). They must put on their mask before and after class or if they have to interact directly with a person closer than 6 feet.
- City of Takoma Park facilities remain closed to the public. Please keep in mind, there are no restroom facilities or water fountains available outdoors. Please be sure to bring your own water.
- No congregating before or after the program in areas such as parking lots, fields, playgrounds etc.
- No physical contact (high fives, huddles, etc.) with other participants.
- Participants shall bring the following items with them to programs:
- Hand Sanitizer
- Participants shall also consider bringing the following items with them to programs:
- Hat & Sunglasses
- Bug spray
- Any equipment necessary for the class
In-person classes are beginning again this spring. Check ActiveNet for an updated list of in-person offerings.
Spirit Club is prerecorded and updated Wednesdays. Simply click and enjoy when you are ready to participate.
- Rise and Move – 10:00 a.m. (starts 9/13)
ADULT FITNESS – Increase your mobility, coordination and get the energy needed to start your day
- Teenage Money Management – 4:00 p.m. (starts 9/13)
TEENS EDUCATION/DEVELOPMENT – learn basic personal finance skills, registration required
- Enhanced Fitness – 8:45 a.m. (Starts 9/7)
55+ FITNESS – moderate-level, well-balanced exercise routine
- Classic Foundational Training & Fitness – 10:00 a.m. (Starts 9/7)
55+ FITNESS – twice a week exercise for all level
- Family Spanish– 6:00 p.m. (starts 9/14) EDUCATION/DEVELOPMENT – beginners’ course for the family to learn conversational Spanish, registration required
- Jazz Dance– 6:00 p.m. (starts 9/14) YOUTH DANCE-basic Jazz dance steps that increase awareness of fluidity in movement
- English as Second Language – 7:00 p.m. (starts 9/14) EDUCATION/DEVELOPMENT – beginners’ course featuring conversation and vocabulary in English, registration required
- Spirit Fitness (for all abilities) new routine every Wednesday, watch anytime
ADULT FITNESS – exercise for all including those with limited mobility and/or developmental disabilities, (last updated 9/14)
- ReVamp Fitness – 10:00 a.m. (starts 9/8)
ADULT FITNESS – get your heart rate up and your stress level down with this personal trainer
- Writing Life Stories – 7:00 p.m. (starts 9/15)
EDUCATION/DEVELOPMENT – jump start your memories, organize your ideas and edit your work
- Classic Foundational Training & Fitness – 10:00 a.m. (Starts 9/9)
55+ FITNESS – twice a week exercise for all levels,
- Fitness for Life – 11:00 a.m. (starts 9/16)
ADULT FITNESS – improve your strength, agility and flexibility at your own pace
- Family Spanish – 6:00 p.m. (starts 9/16) EDUCATION/DEVELOPMENT – beginners’ course for the family to learn conversational Spanish, registration required
- English as Second Language – 7:00 p.m. (starts 9/16) EDUCATION/DEVELOPMENT – beginners’ course featuring conversation and vocabulary in English, registration required
- Total Body Blast – 9:00 a.m. (starts 9/11)
ADULT FITNESS – grab your mat and weights for targeted toning and core strengthening
- Piggy Bank Pioneers – 10:00 a.m. (starts 10/16)
EDUCATION/DEVELOPMENT – an introduction of financial concepts for primary school aged children
- Foundational Fitness II – 10:30 a.m. (starts 9/11)
ADULT FITNESS – exercises to enhance tone/strengthen all major muscle groups