Virtual Community Center
Welcome to the City of Takoma Park’s Virtual Community Center. While the community follows state and county orders to stay at home to mitigate the spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19), the City has gathered resources to help the community maintain healthy lives; have meaningful, safe social interactions virtually; and keep children educated and entertained at home. Our Virtual Community Center is Takoma Park’s one-stop-shop for FREE recreational and educational resources (in-person and online) as we continue to do our part to slow the progression of COVID-19.
For more information on the City’s measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in our community, and the most up-to-date information on this rapidly evolving situation, visit our Information and Resources – Covid-19 Response page.
This past Fall we were able to offer in-person classes! We followed the latest CDC guidelines for small group classes while offering classes outside. Registration was required as space was very limited. Please note there is no restroom access or water fountains – be prepared!
Examples of the In-Person Classes We Have Offered:
- Teen Fitness
- Teen Basketball Skills
- Youth Art in the Park
- Youth & Teen Mindfulness
- Adult Mobile Photography
- Youth Golf
- Youth Soccer
- Tot Art Class
- Tot Basketball
- Youth Tennis
In-Person Class Guidelines
- Maximum of 8 participants, remaining at least 6 feet apart at all times (including during water breaks and explanation of drills, exercises, etc.)
- During class, the instructor and students are allowed to take off their masks when they are physically distant from others (6 or more feet). They must put on their mask before and after class or if they have to interact directly with a person closer than 6 feet.
- City of Takoma Park facilities remain closed to the public. Please keep in mind, there are no restroom facilities or water fountains available outdoors. Please be sure to bring your own water.
- No congregating before or after the program in areas such as parking lots, fields, playgrounds etc.
- No physical contact (high fives, huddles, etc.) with other participants.
- Participants shall bring the following items with them to programs:
- Hand Sanitizer
- Participants shall also consider bringing the following items with them to programs:
- Hat & Sunglasses
- Bug spray
- Any equipment necessary for the class
We hope to offer limited in-person classes this winter in the gymnasium at the Recreation Center. Stay tuned to the City’s social media pages and this website for more information regarding late January/early February classes.
Spirit Club is prerecorded and updated Wednesdays. Simply click and enjoy when you are ready to participate.
- TPTalk55 – 1:00 p.m. (starts 1/11)
55+ SOCIAL – catch up with your friends and chat, grab a cup of coffee
- Teenage Money Management – 4:00 p.m. (starts 1/11)
TEENS EDUCATION/DEVELOPMENT – learn basic personal finance skills, registration required
- Meal Prep Mondays – 5:30 p.m. (starts 2/1)
TEENS EDUCATION/DEVELOPMENT – interactive learning course about basic cooking and kitchen skills, registration required
- Karate: Self Defense – 6:30 p.m. (starts 1/25)
MARTIAL ARTS – learn the practice of traditional Okinawan karate style, Isshinryu
- Enhanced Fitness – 8:45 a.m. (starts 1/12)
55+ FITNESS – moderate-level, well-balanced exercise routine
- Classic Foundational Training & Fitness – 10:00 a.m. (starts 1/12)
55+ FITNESS – twice a week exercise for all level
- Teen Talk Tuesdays – 4:00 p.m. (starts 2/2)
TEENS – join Ms. Leicia to chat about whatever is on your mind; anything from fashion and fads to advice and current events, registration required
- Qi Gong – 7:00 p.m. (starts 1/12)
ADULT FITNESS – gentle movements to increase mobility and flexibility
- Photography – 6:00 p.m. (starts 1/12)
MULTIMEDIA – Learn how to capture moments and memories for any occasion on your phone.
- Spirit Fitness (for all abilities) new routine every Wednesday, watch anytime
ADULT FITNESS – exercise for all including those with limited mobility and/or developmental disabilities, (last updated 1/12)
- ReVamp Fitness – 10:00 a.m. (starts 1/13)
ADULT FITNESS – get your heart rate up and your stress level down with this personal trainer
- Line Dancing – 1:00 p.m. (starts 1/13)
55+ FITNESS – exercising to the beat
- Yoga for Healthy Aging – 2:15 p.m. (starts 1/13)
55+ FITNESS – build strength and flexibility
- Entrepreneurship for Teens 102 – 4:00 p.m. (starts 1/13)
TEENS EDUCATION/DEVELOPMENT – this class builds on the 101 class and dives deeper into the tools needed to build your own business, registration required
- Entrepreneurship for Teens 101 – 4:00 p.m. (starts 2/24)
TEENS EDUCATION/DEVELOPMENT – learn entrepreneurial skills and develop a venture idea that creates economic value, registration required
- Yoga – 5:30 p.m. (1/13)
ADULT FITNESS – energize when you feel dull and bring calm on stressful days
- Writing Life Stories – 7:00 p.m. (1/13)
EDUCATION & DEVELOPMENT – This is a perfect time to write about your life. Class is open for beginners and experienced writers.
- Meditation, Mudras & Yoga – 7:00 p.m. (1/13)
ADULT WELLNESS – Guided meditation along with hand mudras that promote balance and spiritual awakening
- Classic Foundational Training & Fitness – 10:00 a.m. (starts 1/14)
55+ FITNESS- twice a week exercise for all levels
- Learn to Code: HTML & CSS – 4:00 p.m. (starts 1/7)
TEENS EDUCATION/DEVELOPMENT – learn how to use HTML and CSS coding to create webpages, registration required
- Creative Movement & Literacy – 4:30 p.m. (starts 1/14)
TOTS DANCE – enhance body awareness and reading ability
- Digital Marketing – 6:00 p.m. (starts 1/14)
MULTIMEDIA – Learn the key digital marketing skills that can help monetize your expertise
- Zoomba Gold/Zumba Gold – 10:00 a.m. (starts 1/15)
55+ FITNESS – move your body to the Zumba beat
- Let’s Move Afro Caribbean Dance – 6:00 p.m. (starts 1/15)
ADULT FITNESS – move your body to the Caribbean beat
- Total Body Blast – 9:00 a.m. (starts 1/16)
ADULT FITNESS – grab your mat and weights for targeted toning and core strengthening
- Recess – 10:30 a.m. (starts 1/16)
FITNESS – join Ms. Charonne for stretching and fun fitness
- Foundational Fitness II – 10:30 a.m. (starts 1/16)
FITNESS – exercises to enhance tone/strengthen all major muscle groups
- Commit to B Fit– 10:30 a.m. (starts 1/9)
TEEN FITNESS – fun and energized workout session, registration required
- Pandamit – 11:00 a.m. (starts 1/16)
ARTS – learn to paint with acrylics with topics such as values, color mixing, and mixed media
- Creative Arts & Crafts – 12:00 p.m. (starts 1/16)
ARTS – turn household recycled items into art and useful projects
- Youth Dance Class – 11:30 a.m. (starts 1/24)
DANCE – learn different dance techniques with Ms. Charonne weekly
The Virtual Community Center will continue throughout the COVID-19 health crisis. At this time we do not have an anticipated return to work date, therefore registration for 2020-2021 School Year ChildCare has been postponed.
Have a great idea or resource you’d like to share? Email email@example.com
View Fall Class Offerings Here