Sustainability Grants for Businesses
The City of Takoma Park has established a Sustainability Grant Program to help businesses make improvements that increase their environmental sustainability. Such projects can help businesses manage utility usage and reduce costs, improve efficiency, improve indoor air quality, reduce waste, improve the comfort and function of their space, and help the city reach its climate and sustainability goals.
Up to $9,500
Who Can Apply
- Businesses with a physical retail or office space in Takoma Park
The deadline to apply is Thursday, March 11, 2021 at 11:59 pm. All applications will be reviewed on March 12, 2021. If any funding remains after the first review applications will then be considered on a first come first served basis until funding is exhausted, or June 30, 2021, whichever comes first.
The grant can be used for projects that improve the environmental sustainability of your business. This can include:
- Equipment replacements with EnergyStar Certified equipment, including high efficiency heating and cooling (HVAC), heat pump water heaters, dishwashers, lighting, clothes washers and electric dryers, and refrigeration.
- All appliances and equipment should be replaced with electric and heat-pump electric models unless there are extenuating circumstances preventing the use of electric or insurmountable costs to convert to electric systems.
- Small appliances such as microwaves, vacuums, printers, and coffee makers are not eligible.
- Improvements to the building envelope that increases energy efficiency such as insulation, air sealing, and replacement of inefficient windows.
- Installation of solar panels.
- Installation of electric vehicle charger.
Questions or assistance with the application, please contact:
Gina Mathias, Sustainability Manager
All businesses with a physical retail or office space in Takoma Park are eligible to apply.
Grantees must buy 100% green electricity for a minimum of 24 months after grant award. If a rate comparable to Pepco’s standard offer is not available, additional funding to offset the difference may be added to the grant award.
All funded projects must be completed by June 30, 2021. Applicants are limited to two grant awards per 12-month period.
Payment and Reporting
Selected grantees may choose to be reimbursed directly after submitting receipts and proof of project completion, or grantees may choose for the City to pay their chosen contractor. No work completed before the grant is awarded will be reimbursed.
All grantees will be required to benchmark using EnergyStar Portfolio Manager and report energy usage or other metric to measure the impact of the grant.