Garland Avenue Project
On October 16, 2019, the City Council adopted the Housing and Economic Development Strategic Plan. Some of the key findings and recommendations of the Strategic Plan centered on expanding affordable home ownership opportunities and the preservation and creation of housing that is “safe, sustainable, accessible and affordable across socioeconomic groups.”
In September 2020, City Council authorized the use of $200,000 from the City’s Housing Reserve Fund, in partnership with Habitat for Humanity Metro Maryland, to purchase, redevelop, and sell a Takoma Park property.
The existing multi-family rental property will be fully renovated into a duplex (one two-bedroom home, one three-bedroom home), using sustainable materials and following guidelines set by the City’s Climate Emergency Response Framework.
Draft renderings from Muse Architects, subject to change:
Preliminary plans were submitted to Park and Planning in mid-April and are in the 90-day review process.
- Garland Avenue Project Background
- Habitat for Humanity Metro Maryland
- Housing and Economic Development Strategic Plan
- Council Resolution
- 2020 Climate Emergency Response Framework
- Tenant Opportunity to Purchase
Volunteers are vital to Habitat’s work of building decent and affordable homes. Throughout September and October, Habitat and the City will welcome volunteers of all skill and experience levels to build alongside them at Garland Avenue and other locations.
Volunteers can sign up at http://vhub.at/hfhmmtakomapark for the opportunities listed:
Garland Ave Build – Construction:
(For volunteers 18 years and older)
- Thursday, October 14th, 21st, and 28th @ 8:30 am to 3:30 pm
Playhouse Build – Youth Volunteering
(For volunteers under the age of 18)
- Saturday, October 23rd @ 10 am – 3 pm
- Saturday, October 30th @ 10 am – 3 pm
ReStore – Individual and Family Volunteering
(For volunteers 14 years and older)
- Saturday, October 9th @ 2-5 pm
- Sunday, October 10th @ 2-5 pm
- January through June 2021 – Architectural Design, Preliminary Plan Review, Permitting, & Homebuyer recruitment and selection.
- July through April 2022 – Interior construction/Rehabilitation including new/updated utility connections, a fire safe adjoining wall, and addition of a driveway to the right-hand property and execution of all permitted activities.
- May 2022 – Sale of home to qualified buyers
- Target completion date: Spring 2022
- Takoma Park’s role in project: Funder
- Departments involved: Housing and Community Development, Public Works