Garland Avenue Project
On October 16, 2019, the City Council adopted the Housing and Economic Development Strategic Plan. Some of the key findings and recommendations of the Strategic Plan centered on expanding affordable home ownership opportunities and the preservation and creation of housing that is “safe, sustainable, accessible and affordable across socioeconomic groups.”
In September 2020, City Council authorized the use of $200,000 from the City’s Housing Reserve Fund, in partnership with Habitat for Humanity Metro Maryland, to purchase, redevelop, and sell a Takoma Park property.
The existing multi-family rental property will be fully renovated into a duplex (one two-bedroom home, one three-bedroom home), using sustainable materials and following guidelines set by the City’s Climate Emergency Response Framework.
Draft renderings from Muse Architects, subject to change:
Currently, HFHMM has assembled a development team, which includes a land use attorney, civil engineer, and local architect, and is planning to submit its preliminary plan to Park and Planning in early February.
- Garland Avenue Project Background
- Habitat for Humanity Metro Maryland
- Housing and Economic Development Strategic Plan
- Council Resolution
- 2020 Climate Emergency Response Framework
- Tenant Opportunity to Purchase
Visit Habitat for Humanity Metro Maryland to obtain the application checklist so that you can prepare the required documentation.
Applications will be available for download as well as for hardcopy pickup in the Police Department/lower lobby of the Community Center at 7500 Maple Avenue (enter from Maple Avenue parking lot), March 3-20th.
- January through June 2021 – Architectural Design, Preliminary Plan Review, Permitting, & Homebuyer recruitment and selection.
- July through April 2022 – Interior construction/Rehabilitation including new/updated utility connections, a fire safe adjoining wall, and addition of a driveway to the right-hand property and execution of all permitted activities.
- May 2022 – Sale of home to qualified buyers
- Target completion date: Spring 2022
- Takoma Park’s role in project: Funder
- Departments involved: Housing and Community Development, Public Works