2019 Fall Leaf Collection Schedule: Friday, Nov 15 through Friday, Dec 20.
2019 Fall Leaf Collection
Vacuum leaf collection is provided by the Department of Public Works in the late fall. Loose leaves raked to the curb by residents are collected via vacuum trucks. These leaves are passed through a tub grinder and redistributed to the residents as mulch for free. Mulch can be used as a soil amendment or a top dressing around plants and trees. This year’s fall leaf collection starts Friday, Nov. 15, 2019, and continues through Friday, Dec. 20, 2019. Leaf collection is dependent on the weather; rain or freezing conditions can slow collection.
2019 Fall Leaf Collection Dates
Collection routes with assigned collection dates
There are five streets that receive collection on scheduled dates. Most of these streets are Maryland State Highway Administration routes and typically have a heavy volume of traffic.
The routes are:
- Carroll Avenue/MD 195 (7000 to 7800 block),
- Ethan Allen Avenue/MD 410,
- Philadelphia Avenue/MD 410,
- Piney Branch Road/MD 320,
- Flower Avenue (7900 to 8600 block).
This year’s collection dates:
- Carroll, Ethan Allen, and Philadelphia are Saturday, November 23 and Monday, December 16.
- Flower and Piney Branch, the collection dates are Friday, November 15 and Saturday, December 14.
Important guidelines to be followed for leaf collection
- Place leaves into a pile at the edge of the curb.
- Avoid piling leaves where cars are likely to be parked.
- Do not rake leaves into the street. Leaf piles create traffic hazards.
- Do not include branches, brush, vines, rocks or debris. These items damage equipment and delay collection.
- Do not pile leaves near storm drain inlets. Leaves can block the drains and cause flooding problems.
- Do not park your car in front of a leaf pile. Restricting access to leaf piles delays collection.
Leaf Collection Hotline Public Works has set up a Leaf Collection Hotline, and the number is 301-891-7626. Residents should call the Leaf Collection Hotline and leave a voice message to notify Public Works when leaves have been raked out to the curb. Public Works tries to collect leaf piles reported on the hotline within 10 days of a call.