Register to Vote
Who can vote in City of Takoma Park elections for Mayor and City Council?
Every resident of the City of Takoma Park who will be 16 years of age or older on election day is eligible to register and vote in City elections.
- A resident does not need to be a U.S. citizen to vote in an election for mayor and city council.
Where should I register to vote? The State of Maryland or Takoma Park?
Voters who are registered with the State of Maryland are eligible to vote in Federal, State, and local elections, but you must be 18 by election day to vote in state or federal elections. (Maryland allows 16-year-olds to register but they must wait until they are 18 years old to cast a vote.)
To register with the State of Maryland you must meet the following requirements:
- A Citizen of the United States
- At least 16 years of age
- Does not claim the right to vote as a resident elsewhere
- Not incarcerated due to a felony conviction
- Not convicted of buying or selling votes.
Voters that are registered with the City of Takoma Park only are eligible to vote in our local City elections for Mayor and City Council.
- The City allows city residents who are non-US citizen to vote as well as 16/17-year-old City residents.
- City residents that are 16 or 17 years old may cast a vote for Mayor and City Council. They do not have to wait until they are 18.
- To register with the City of Takoma Park the only requirements are that you live within the City limits, that you are not registered to vote elsewhere, and that you will be at least 16 years of age on or before November 8, 2022.
Registering to vote with the State of Maryland
If you are already registered to vote with the State of Maryland then you are automatically eligible to vote in the City of Takoma Park elections for Mayor and City Council.
If you wish to check your voter status with the State of Maryland you may visit the Maryland Voter Search web page. You will need to provide your full name, current address, and date of birth.
If you have not registered to vote with the State of Maryland and you are eligible (eligibility requirements listed above):
- Download, print, and fill out the State of Maryland voter registration form
- Mail it to
The Montgomery County Board of Elections Office,
Montgomery County Board of Elections
PO Box 4333
Rockville, MD 20849-4333
- You may also register online by using the State of Maryland electronic form.
Check Your Voter Registration
Confirm that you are registered at your current address.
For voters registered with the State of Maryland, check the State Board of Elections voter services section.
For voters registered with the City of Takoma Park (and not with the State of Maryland), contact the City Clerk at 301-891-7267 or by email to confirm your registration and your address.