Registration and Voting Information
Who can vote in City of Takoma Park elections for Mayor and City Council?
Every resident of the City of Takoma Park who will be 16 years of age or older on election day is eligible to register and vote in City elections.
- A resident does not need to be a U.S. citizen to vote in an election for mayor and city council.
Where should I register to vote? The State of Maryland or Takoma Park?
Voters who are registered with the State of Maryland are eligible to vote in Federal, State, and local elections except for registered voters that are under the age of 18.
- Maryland allows 16-year-olds to register but they must wait until they are 18 years old to cast a vote.
To register with the State of Maryland you must meet the following requirements:
- A Citizen of the United States
- At least 16 years of age
- Does not claim the right to vote as a resident elsewhere
- Not incarcerated due to a felony conviction
- Not convicted of buying or selling votes.
Voters that are registered with the City of Takoma Park are eligible
- To vote in our local City elections for Mayor and City Council only.
- The City allows city residents who are non-US citizen to vote as well as 16-year-old City residents.
- City residents that are 16 years old may cast a vote for Mayor and City Council at the age of 16. They do not have to wait until they are 18.
- To register with the City of Takoma Park the only requirement is that you live within the City limits and that you be at least 16 years of age.
Registering to vote with the State of Maryland
If you are already registered to vote with the State of Maryland then you are automatically eligible to vote in the City of Takoma Park elections for Mayor and City Council.
If you wish to check your voter status with the State of Maryland you may visit the Maryland Voter Search web page. You will need to provide your full name, current address, and date of birth.
If you have not registered to vote with the State of Maryland and you are eligible (eligibility requirements listed above) and wish to do so
- Download, print, and fill out the State of Maryland voter registration form
- Mail it to
The Montgomery County Board of Elections Office,
Montgomery County Board of Elections
PO Box 4333
Rockville, MD 20849-4333
- You may also register electronically by using the State of Maryland electronic form.
- City Election Information
- Registration and Voting Information
- Ways to Cast Your Ballot
- Who to Contact with Questions
- Election Calendar
- Candidate information
- Information for Candidates
- Serve as an Election Worker
- Nominating Caucus
- Results of Past Elections
Registering with the City of Takoma Park
- Complete the fillable Takoma Park Voter Registration Application. Print and sign the completed application.
- Mail the application along with a photocopy of the required identification and/or proof of residency to:
City Clerk’s Office
7500 Maple Avenue
Takoma Park, MD 20912
- OR scan or snap a picture of the completed, signed application and the required ID and/or proof of residency, and email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
When to register
- For City Elections, residents may register any time, up to and including the day of the election.