Dockless E-Scooter Pilot Launches in the City of Takoma Park
Dockless E-Scooter Pilot
Curious about the green scooters you may be seeing around the City? Takoma Park is participating in Montgomery County’s Dockless Bikeshare pilot program to continue to expand sustainable transportation options around the City and surrounding region. This pilot includes dockless e-bikes and e-scooters and expands to other areas of the County east and west of the original service area. A map of the expanded pilot area is located here. The project is expected to last 6 months with an option for extension.
“Dockless” means that, unlike Capital Bikeshare, these vehicles can be parked in multiple locations rather than fixed stations. There are two companies currently operating in Takoma Park, Lime and Lyft. Lime provides both e-bikes and e-scooters while Lyft operates only scooters.
Unlocking an e-bike or e-scooter from either company follows the same basic steps:
- Download the dockless mobile application.
- Open the mobile application, create a profile, and locate a bike or scooter using GPS.
- Unlock a bike or scooter by scanning a code and start the ride.
- Park your bike or scooter in a responsible location and close your lock to end the trip.
Scooter rentals are restricted to individuals that are 18 years of age with a valid driver’s license. Users cannot begin a ride between the hours of 10 pm and 5 am. This decision was made by Montgomery County based on data which indicates that the majority of accidents occur in the early morning hours. The e-scooters are also capped at a maximum speed of 15 miles per hour.
- Please don’t block sidewalks or driveways when parking your e-bike or e-scooter. This program works best if we all take responsibility and park in places that don’t block car traffic, impede pedestrian access, or encroach on private property. Scooters can be picked up and moved short distances without penalty if parked incorrectly. If you see a bike or scooter in a place it should not be, you can also contact the individual companies:
- Feedback should be directed to the County’s 311 line. This can be done by calling 240-777-0311 or visiting their website online.
- Visit the dockless bikeshare company’s website for more information. Visit LimeBike or Lyft
- Ride safely! Wear a helmet, reflective clothing, and obey all traffic laws wherever you go. Audibly signal when passing a pedestrian or bike. This is especially important with faster moving e-scooters.
More information on the dockless program can be found here on the County’s website. The County currently has a survey open to solicit resident feedback on the program. Additional concerns can be directed to Montgomery County 311 and directly to Lime and Lyft.