Community consultation process advisory committee for the Takoma Junction redevelopment
The City Council has approved the appointment of a Community Consultation Process Advisory Committee to help facilitate community input and feedback at critical stages of the Takoma Junction development project. Neighborhood Development Company, the firm selected for the Takoma Junction redevelopment project, has proposed the establishment of the committee to assist in the development of a process for community participation appropriate for Takoma Park.
The committee’s efforts will focus on creating, in conjunction with NDC, the process needed to guide community participation on important aspects of the development project effectively. The committee will not be responsible for making substantive decisions or providing specific recommendations to the Council about the design, layout or use of the planned development.
The City Council is seeking to appoint not more than seven residents with representation from each Ward to serve on the proposed committee. Members would serve for a few months, developing a process to ensure community engagement. Members should be skilled in outreach and social media, knowledgeable about local resources, and familiar with the best means of reaching residents throughout the community. The work of the committee will be finished when the community consultation period in the development process is completed.
The committee would:
- Clarify with NDC the aspects of the project’s program and design for which community input is important for the project outcome
- Identify the best means for community members to engage in the development process
- Determine the details of meetings needed to ensure sufficient opportunity for community input, such as number and frequency of meetings, locations, times, format;
- Assist with promotion and outreach regarding meetings;
- Provide opportunities for online community feedback for community members who are unable to attend meetings
To apply for appointment, complete and submit an application: https://takomapark. seamlessdocs.com/f/bccapplication.
This article appeared in the June 2016 edition of the Takoma Park Newsletter. The Takoma Park Newsletter is available for download here.