Stay cool, stay safe this summer
Takoma Park gets steamy in the summer months, and that can affect air quality. Here are some ways to stay healthy and avoid contributing in the region:
- Fuel your car only after dark.
- Skip the use of gas powered blowers, weed whackers, or edgers.
- Avoid idling your car excessively.
- Carpool, telecommute, or take mass transit to work.
- Limit driving and combine errands.
- Wait for a cooler day to use oil-based paints or switch to non-solvent or low VOC-based paints.
- Avoid using aerosols and household products that contain solvents.
- Avoid mid-day driving.
- Conserve energy at home and work to reduce power demand.
- Avoid or limit exertion mid-day.
- Drink plenty of fluids.
- Do not leave pets or children in the carunattended.
- If you become over-heated seek an air-
conditioned or shady location for rest.
- Check on elderly neighbors to be sure they are safe.
This article appeared in the August 2015 edition of the Takoma Park Newsletter. The Takoma Park Newsletter is available for download here.