Notice of Takoma Park Nominating Caucus
Tuesday, September 12, 2017 – 7:30 p.m.
Community Center Auditorium, 7500 Maple Avenue
The Nominating Caucus will convene at 7:30 p.m. on Tuesday, September 12, 2017 to accept nominations of candidates for mayor and councilmember for the November 7, 2017 City Election. The meeting will be held in the Auditorium of the Takoma Park Community Center–Sam Abbott Citizens’ Center, 7500 Maple Avenue. The meeting is open to all. Only qualified voters of the city may place names in nomination or second a nomination. If not registered to vote, residents may register before the meeting is called to order.
At the Caucus, nominations of candidates for mayor may be made on motion of any voter of the City, and if such nomination is seconded, the person nominated will be considered a candidate. Nomination of each candidate for councilmember may be made on motion of any voter of her/his ward, and if such nomination is seconded, the person so nominated will be considered a candidate. Ward councilmember nominations will be accepted in the following order: Wards 4, 2, 1, 3, 5, 6. Nominations for mayor will follow.
Any nominated candidate may decline a nomination during the meeting. A person may only accept nomination of one city office. The name of each person nominated for the office of mayor and councilmember shall be placed upon the official ballot unless the person does not meet the qualifications for office or files a declination with the City Clerk by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, September 15, 2017.
Any person nominated as a candidate must meet the qualifications of the office for which she/he is nominated.
- Nominating Caucus Agenda (with notes for participants)
- Notice of Nominating Caucus
- Qualifications for Election as Mayor or City Councilmember
Results of Nominating Caucus
- Mayor: Kate Stewart
- Ward 1: Peter Kovar
- Ward 2: Cindy Dyballa, Joe Edgell, Ashleigh Nugent
- Ward 3: Kacy Kostiuk
- Ward 4: Terry Seamens
- Ward 5: Amee Bearne, Jarrett Smith
- Ward 6: Talisha Searcy, Jason Small
Other Related Information:
- View the Nominating Caucus from 2015
- Residents interested in running for office should review the candidate information page. The page includes forms and complete information for candidates.