Public Works holds Household Hazardous Waste Drop-off Day: Saturday, June 13 from 10:00am - 2:00pm
2020 Household Hazardous Waste Drop-off Day
To assist residents with proper and safe disposal of hazardous waste, the Public Works Department holds an annual Household Hazardous Waste Drop-off day.
Date: Saturday, June 13, 2020
Time: 10:00 am to 2:00
On Household Hazardous Waste Drop-off Day, Takoma Park residents can drop off household hazardous waste for free (non-residents will be charged a $10 fee (CHECKS ONLY) at the yard at the Public Works Facility.
In light of the pandemic, participants will be asked to follow these steps:
- All participants must wear a mask – no exceptions.
- Enter from the Oswego Avenue entrance only.
- Follow the guidance of the staff directing traffic, all vehicles will exit out the Ritchie Avenue driveway.
- All hazardous materials for drop off must be in the trunk of the car or back of a pickup trunk only – no materials will be taken out of the interior of your car.
- City staff will remove the hazardous materials from the trunk or pick up truck – participants must stay in their cars at all times.
What Can Be Accepted at the Household Hazardous Waste Drop-off Day in Takoma Park?
- Aerosol cans containing hazardous products
- Antifreeze and hydraulic fluids (5-gallon limit)
- Batteries: lithium, lithium-ion, nickel-cadmium, car (lead acid)
- Brake fluid
- Charcoal containing flammable agents
- Driveway sealant, tar
- Gasoline, gas-oil mixes, kerosene
- Herbicides, insecticides, and pesticides
- Fluorescent light tubes and ballast
- Thermostats and thermometers containing mercury
- Oil-based paints, paint thinners and solvents
- Photographic chemicals
Not Accepted Household Hazardous Waste Items
- Latex paint
- Commercial, industrial or medical wastes
- Compressed gas cylinders or radioactive materials
Public Works Page