Important Message from the Recreation Department on Summer Programs and Services.
Dear Recreation Friends and Participants,
With the updated guidance provided by the Montgomery County Executive, we know we are all safest at home and we continue to follow the stay-at-home order, as well as the guidance of our state and local public health officials. We know, too, that you have questions about summer camps and programs, especially now that schools are closed.
The Recreation Department is working on plans for a fun and safe summer season of virtual activities and classes while being mindful of the challenges presented by COVID-19. Safety standards will require us to restructure the way we deliver leisure services, and we are working with the County and other local jurisdictions to see how our services might be provided. These decisions were not made lightly and take into account the safety of the participants and staff.
After careful consideration, we’ve made the following determination regarding our services. As information changes, we are committed to providing you updated information as quickly as possible:
- Summer Camps: All in-person summer camps are canceled for the summer and we are working to process refunds. Look for an email shortly detailing options for refunds. All camp auto payments scheduled for June 1 have also been canceled. Updates detailing future virtual summer camp offerings will be provided as soon as they are available.
- Child Care Programs: We are actively working to refund the remaining Morning/Afternoon Addition and After the Bell fees (if applicable). We are waiting to hear MCPS’s final plans for the next school year before developing a comparable program and accepting registrations. Please contact Recreation@takomaparkmd.gov for more information.
- Facility Rentals: All rentals through June 30, 2020 have been canceled and refunds are being processed. If you have any questions regarding your refund, please check your ActiveNet account or email us at Recreation@takomaparkmd.gov.
- Memberships: We’ve stopped auto-renewals of all memberships at the Takoma Park Recreation Center and will extend the membership according to the length of time that the City was closed. Please send questions to Recreation@takomaparkmd.gov.
- Summer Registration: Registration for our virtual summer classes and activities will soon open; watch for dates on the City’s social media pages. Classes will begin in July and will be free or have a nominal registration fee.
Thank you for your patience and understanding as we navigate these unprecedented times. Should you have any questions or concerns, feel free to email us at Recreation@takomaparkmd.gov or call the Recreation Office during normal business hours at 301-891-7290.
Please stay home and stay safe. To participate in our exciting programs and activities from home, visit us at our virtual Community Center at https://takomaparkmd.gov/government/recreation/virtual-community-center/
Continue to be safe and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Director, Recreation Department
City of Takoma Park