2024 City Election for Mayor & Council

Takoma Park Elections Will Take Place on Tuesday, November 5, 2024

Library Renovations Update: Water Utility Work to Begin Monday, July 8, 2024 - Parking Impacts

The scheduling of demolition and construction timelines are pending weather.

Active Alerts
  • No results found for this search.

Heat Alert: Heat Emergency Has Been Declared This Weekend!

Montgomery County has issued a Heat Emergency Alert beginning 12 p.m Saturday, 6/22 through 8 p.m Sunday, 6/23, 2024. Residents should prepare for heat index values to reach 105 degrees during the afternoon hours. These dangerously hot temperatures and heat index values could cause heat-related illnesses such as heat exhaustion or heat stroke. Watch for changing weather conditions, and check with your local weather program for updates.

 To beat the heat, please note the following days and times Takoma Park facilities are open to the public:

Takoma Park Community Center, 7500 Maple Avenue, 2nd Floor
8:30 AM – 9:30 PM Monday – Friday
10:00 AM – 6:00 PM Saturday
12:00 PM – 5:00 PM Sunday

Recreation Center, 7315 New Hampshire Avenue
9:00 AM – 9:00 PM – Monday – Friday
9:00 AM – 1:00 PM - Saturday
Closed on Sunday

Library, 7505 New Hampshire Avenue
10:00 AM – 8:00 PM Monday – Thursday
12:00 PM – 6:00 PM Friday - Sunday

Extra Tips to Stay Cool in the Heat:
  • Free Fans from the County: Montgomery County Department of Health and Human Services is also offering residents free fans throughout this week as temperatures go into the 90s. If you need a fan to stay cool, call DHHS at 240-777-3000 to request one.
  • Head to a City facility open for cooling down.
  • Broken A/C or Electrical Outage? If by any chance you find yourself in an emergency heat situation: call 911 if you are experiencing a health issue. But if you have an electrical outage or a broken air conditioning unit, try to 1) head to one of the City's facilities as needed while repairs are made, 2) if you live in a building, ask your building manager to provide you or your lobby area with a fan or cooling unit until the outage is repaired, and 3) if for some reason you are not getting responses from your building's management staff (perhaps because it is the weekend or night time), then you can call our City's non emergency number (301 270 1100) or the County number at 311 but you should also directly contact City staff to alert them of the situation.
Don't forget your pets!

If you see an animal outside who appears to be in danger, call the Animal Services Division at 301-279-8000.