City Election Information
Your City … Your Vote
First, make sure you are registered (Registered with the State or with Takoma Park). If you have voted in any recent election from your home address in Takoma Park, and if nothing has changed, you should be fine. If you have moved into Takoma Park recently, or if you have moved to a different address in Takoma Park, take a moment to confirm or update your registration. Visit TakomaParkMD.gov/elections, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 301-891-7267.
Election by Mail
The City Election will be conducted by mail. In the second week of October, registered voters will be mailed a ballot to be marked and returned to a secure ballot box or by US mail.
Prepare for the City of Takoma Park Election (and for the Presidential Election)
Most voter registration is handled by the Maryland State Board of Elections.
- The most important action you can take to prepare for these two elections is to confirm that you are registered at your current address in Takoma Park.
- If nothing has changed, and you have voted before at your address, you should be fine.
- If you have any doubt, or if you have moved in the past few years, confirm or update your registration right away.
If you are not registered, register now. Don’t wait!
Information on how to check your registration is available, visit: Registration and Voting Information on the City website or by contacting the City Clerk’s Office email: Clerk@takomaparkmd.gov
- Registered voters should receive a ballot in the mail by
- Tuesday, November 3, 2020, 7:00 AM – 8:00 PM Election day. (Takoma Park Drive-Through Vote Center for City Election open at the Takoma Park Community Center, 7500 Maple Avenue).
- City Election Information
- Registration and Voting Information
- Ways to Cast Your Ballot
- Who to Contact with Questions
- Election Calendar
- Information for Candidates
- Serve as an Election Worker
- Nominating Caucus
- Results of Past Elections
Ranked Choice Voting
- The City of Takoma Park uses ranked-choice voting. When there are multiple candidates, voters may rank candidates in order of choice (1, 2, 3). Follow the instructions on your ballot.
Mayor and City Council
All legislative powers of the City of Takoma Park are vested in a body designated as the Council of the City of Takoma Park, consisting of seven members.
- Six of these members are elected by ward and are called Councilmembers, and one is elected at large and is called the Mayor.
- The City is divided into six Wards with one Council Member representing each Ward.
- The Mayor and Council Members are elected to two-year terms.