Emergency Preparedness Committee
About the Emergency Preparedness Committee
The Emergency Preparedness Committee shall assist in:
- Reviewing the City’s Emergency Operations Plan and other supporting emergency documents and recommending changes to the Council and City Manager.
- Exploring the formation of volunteer neighborhood emergency teams that can assist City departments in carrying out emergency activities when called upon.
- Coordinating with the City, Montgomery County, and other agencies to educate residents on their individual responsibilities in preparing their households for emergencies and providing information on what residents can expect from the City and County during an emergency.
- Collecting and providing, as appropriate, research and data as well as assembled comments on emergency-related events for the Council.
- Reporting to the Council on the Committee’s progress six months after the Committee starts operating and every six months thereafter. Each report will provide information on upcoming plans for the Committee along with recommendations for improving the City’s preparedness, if appropriate.
- Coordinating with Montgomery County to offer and promote citizen training programs for residents.
- Identifying and promoting volunteer opportunities during emergency situations to neighborhood safety contacts, citizen patrols, citizen associations, persons who serve or care for special City populations, and other City residents in concert with the agency within Montgomery County that is responsible for volunteers during emergencies.
- Advising the City on strategies to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of City preparedness activities and its relationship with relevant agencies, organizations, and community groups.
- Providing opportunities, when appropriate, for Councilmembers to be present during emergency exercises as observers and solicit their feedback after an event. (Ord. 2014-20 § 1, 2014/Ord. 2007-3, 2007: Ord. 2004-31 (part), 2004)
Emergency Preparedness Committee Membership
Adapted from Takoma Park Municipal Code 2.16.250:
The Committee will be composed of appropriate senior City staff selected by the City Manager, one member selected by the Public Safety Citizens Advisory Committee (PSCAC), one member selected by the Takoma Park Volunteer Fire Department, one member selected by the Washington Adventist Hospital, one member selected by the Montgomery County Office of Emergency Management and Homeland Security, and seven residents (preferably at least one from each ward) appointed by the Council. Appointees should have some professional background in emergency preparedness or operations.
The Council may appoint up to five additional members. These members may represent educational institutions, faith communities, businesses or business associations, landlords or managers of multi-unit residential properties in the City, and other appropriate sectors or stakeholders in the community.
Emergency Preparedness Committee Members
|First Name||Last Name||Affiliation||Term Expiration|
|Rebecca||Chestnutt||Resident Member, Ward 3||2017|
|Joe||Corona||Montgomery County Office of Emergency Management and Homeland Security||N/A|
|Ron||Hardy (City Co-Chair)||Takoma Park Emergency Manager||N/A|
|Thomas||Horne||Takoma Park Volunteer Fire Department||N/A|
|Kamelah||Jefferson||Washington Adventist Hospital||N/A|
|Andy||Kelemen||Resident Member, Ward 1||2018|
|Jennifer||Kurtinitis||Resident Member, Ward 1||2018|
|Fred||Levenson||Resident Member Ward 2||2018|
|Herma||Percy||Washington Adventist University||N/A|
|Donald||Pinkston||Resident Member Ward 5||2019|
|Kathleen||Quinn||Resident Member, Ward 2||2019|
|Claudine||Schweber (Community Co-Chair)||Resident Member, Ward 3||2019|
Emergency Preparedness Committee Meetings
The Emergency Preparedness Committee generally meets the fourth Thursday of each month from 7:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. in the Takoma Park Community Center – Sam Abbott Citizens’ Center located at 7500 Maple Avenue, Takoma Park, MD 20912. All meetings are open to the public.
Meeting dates are posted on the City Council, Board, Commission & Committee Calendar page.
Emergency Preparedness Committee Agendas & Approved MinutesTable: Emergency Preparedness Committee agendas & approved minutes
Contact the Emergency Preparedness Committee
Boards, Commissions & Committees Sections
Takoma Park Alert
Sign up for Takoma Park Alert and get important weather, emergency info and traffic updates sent to your computer, phone or tablet.
Info you need… when you need it!Sign Up For Takoma Park Alert