The City of Takoma Park Public Ethics Ordinance calls for the creation of an Ethics Commission to administer the Ethics chapter of the Takoma Park Code and ensure that public officials and employees perform their duties with only the best interests of the City and its residents in mind.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. To devise, receive, and maintain all forms generated by this chapter.
2. To provide, at the request of any person concerning the application of this chapter to an actual situation or one seriously contemplated, written advisory opinions. The Commission shall respond promptly to these requests, providing interpretations of this chapter based on the facts provided or reasonably available to it. The Commission shall, to the extent practicable, publish its advisory opinions with any information that would identify the subject of the opinion deleted. The publication of advisory opinions shall include the publication of a summary of the advisory opinion in the City Newsletter and the posting of the advisory opinion on the City’s website.
3. To investigate, hear, and decide any inquiry or complaint filed by any person regarding an alleged or potential violation of this chapter. The Commission has the power of subpoena to require the attendance of persons and the production of documents. If any person refuses to comply with a subpoena of the Commission, the Commission may initiate a suit in equity in the Circuit Court to enforce compliance with the subpoena.
4. To conduct a public information program regarding the purposes and application of this chapter.
5. To recommend legislative changes and improvements to this chapter, including such changes as are necessary to maintain compliance with the requirements of State Government Article, Title 15, Subtitle 8, of the Annotated Code of Maryland.
6. To promulgate regulations to accompany this chapter.
7. To certify to the State Ethics Commission on or before October 1st of each year that the City is in compliance with the requirements for elected local officials of State Government Article, Title 15, Subtitle 8, of the Annotated Code of Maryland.
Follow this link to view the City of Takoma Park Public Ethics Ordinance
The Ethics Commission may have up to seven appointed members appointed by the City Council to staggered three-year terms. Terms expire June 30.
Ethics Commission Members
|First Name||Last Name||Ward||Term Expiration|
The Commission is charged with meeting at least once each quarter, or as is needed to review an advisory opinion or complaint.
Documents of Interest
Information on the procedure for requesting an advisory opinion or filing an inquiry or complaint is available here:
Meeting Agendas and Minutes
|Date||Document Type/Description||Title & Link (PDF)|
|2022-03-17||Meeting Agenda and Minutes||Agenda |
|2022-01-12||Ethics Commission Orientation Minutes||Minutes|