Nuclear-Free Takoma Park Committee
The Nuclear-Free Takoma Park Committee oversees implementation of and adherence to the Takoma Park Nuclear Free Zone Act.
Duties and Responsibilities
- The Committee may review any work within the City which it has reason to believe is not in compliance with Section 14.04.040 of this Act. The Committee shall inform appropriate legal authorities of suspected violation of this Act.
- The Committee shall re’Jiew existing City contracts, awards, purchase orders and inwstments and may review proposed contracts, awards, purchase orders and im.estments to assure compliance with Sections 14.04.050 and 14.04.060 of this Act. If the Committee finds any contracts, awards, purchase orders or inwstments in violation of this Act, it shall, in conjunction with the City Administrator, make recommendations to the Mayor and Council regarding the existence of reasonable alternatives.
- The Committee, in conjunction with the City Administrator, shall propose a socially responsible investment policy and implementation plan as specified in Section 14.04.050 and, upon the adoption of the policy and plan, shall annually thereafter rev;ew the investment policy to ensure its conformity to this Act.
- The Committee shall, through the collection of materials, newsletter articles, cable television programming, public forums and other means, provide public education and information on issues related to the intent and purpose of this Act. In performing this task, the Committee shall cooperate with City staff, the Nuclear Freeze Task Force and other interested community groups and individuals.
- The Committee shall maintain a collection of current materials concerning the production of nuclear weapons and the components thereof and the transportation of high-level nuclear waste resulting from the production of nuclear weapons and nuclear energy. From this information and from consultations with indiv;duals and organizations in\Oived in the nuclear weapons and nuclear energy debate, the Committee shall annually prepare and report to the City Council a list of nuclear weapons producers to guide the City, its officials, staff and agents in the implementation of Sections 14.04.050 and 14.04.060 of this Act. The Committee shall also make recommendations to the City Council from this information and from consultations with indiv;duals and organizations involved in the transportation of high-level nuclear waste on how best to promote the safety and welfare of the City from harmful exposure to high-level nuclear waste.
- Before a waiver of the prov;sions of Sections 14.04.060(A), (B) or (C) above pursuant to Section 14.04.060(F) may be sought, the Committee, in conjunction with the City Administrator or his or her designee, shall conduct a diligent search to determine the availability of reasonable alternative sources for a necessary product or seNce, except, however, the City Administrator or his or her designee and/or the Committee’s unwillingness or inability to conduct such a search shall not preclude actions by the Mayor and Council pursuant to Section 14.04.060(F). (Ord. 2005-29 (part), 2005/prior code§ 8A-12)
The membership is to have collective experience in the areas of science, research, finance, law, peace and ethics. Residency is required. Members are appointed by the City Council to staggered two-year terms. Terms expire March 31.
Nuclear-Free Takoma Park Committee Members
|Last Name||First Name||Ward||Term Expiration|
|Baron||Reid||3||March 31, 2016|
|Boddy||Julie||1||March 31, 2017|
|Gunter||Paul||1||March 31, 2017|
|Levy (Chair)||Jay||1||March 31, 2016|
|Martin||Kevin||5||March 31, 2017|
|Tucker||Kitty||5||March 31, 2017|
|Vacant||March 31, 2018|
Check the calendar for upcoming meetings.
Documents of Interest
|Meeting Date||Document Type|