The Recreation Committee was established:
- To advise the City Council on how best to serve the diverse recreation needs of Takoma Park residents, including but not limited to reviewing and recommending policies and programs that concern recreational opportunities within the City, with a special emphasis on youth and seniors and broad and diverse participation.
- To advise the City Council regarding a range of community needs involving recreation, health, leisure, education, enrichment programs, and opportunities for social development.
- To identify for the City Council options and opportunities which may benefit the Takoma Park community by serving those needs.
- To advise the City Council on ways to enhance use of existing City-owned or operated facilities, including the Community Center, the New Hampshire Avenue Recreation Center, Heffner Park Community Center, and athletic fields maintained by the City to meet the objectives set forth in Section 2.16.310(B).
- To advise the City Council of options and opportunities for recreational use of other public community facilities in the area and to suggest to the Council new facilities which may be needed. (Ord. No. 2008-4, 2-25-08)
Duties and Responsibilities
- The Committee shall prepare an annual report to the Council and may provide additional briefings as needed.
- The Committee shall conform to other provisions of Article 1, Chapter 2.16 Boards and Commissions, as may be amended from time to time.
- The Recreation Committee shall consist of seven to 15 Takoma Park residents to be appointed by the City Council. Every effort shall be made to ensure that the membership represents all wards and the diverse populations in Takoma Park.
- Committee members shall serve staggered two-year terms, with initial appointments of one and two years. Terms shall begin on May 1 and end on April 30.
- The Committee shall organize and adopt bylaws and rules of procedure as necessary to accomplish its purpose. The Committee shall elect a Chairperson, Vice Chairperson, and any other officers it shall deem necessary. Officers shall serve for a period of one year.
- The City Manager shall designate a City staff member to serve as liaison to the Committee.
- To facilitate coordination with other groups, the Recreation Committee shall select from among its membership representatives to serve as non-voting liaisons to the Arts and Humanities Commission, the Public Safety Citizens Advisory Committee, and any other bodies designated by the Committee or the Council.
Recreation Committee Members
|Last Name||First Name||Ward||Term Expiration|
Documents of Interest
Meeting Agenda and Minutes
December 15, 2016 – Agenda