Welcome to the Takoma Park Police Department Careers page!
Takoma Park is the only full service municipal police department in Montgomery County, Maryland. We are a diverse team of almost 70 dedicated professionals readily serving the residents of Takoma Park. Our goal is to enhance the quality of life in the community by working cooperatively with the public and within the framework of the U.S. Constitution and the State of Maryland to enforce the laws, preserve the peace, reduce fear of crime and provide for a safe environment. We are seeking individuals who are committed to contributing to the Department’s accomplishment of this goal.
Careers with the City of Takoma Park
You may be interested in our exciting and worthwhile opportunities as a sworn officer or in a civilian position. To learn more about the Department, please check out the video. To explore our current jobs, check out our Career Openings.
Our Careers page is updated regularly. Applications are accepted for available opportunities. We look forward to receiving your application and wish you the best in your endeavor to serve the community.
The City of Takoma Park does not discriminate for employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, family or marital status, genetic information, or any other category protected by law.
The Opportunities and Benefits of Working in the Takoma Park Police Department
As a small full-service Department, there are many areas we offer the opportunity for an officer to gain meaningful knowledge and skills:
- Community oriented policing
- Criminal Investigations Unit (CID)
- Emergency Response Team (ERT)
- K-9 unit
- Multi-jurisdictional drug enforcement
- Special Assignment Team (SAT)
- Speed enforcement
Our programs do not end with the officers; there are numerous opportunities for those in civilian positions who work in tandem with our officers to serve our community:
- Administrative Services
- Emergency Management
- Public Information
- Speed Enforcement Support
- Victim/Witness Coordination
The City of Takoma Park offers a generous benefit program to its staff. Below is a list of some of the benefits available.
- Participation in the City of Takoma Park Police Employees Retirement Plan (Police Officers)
- Participation in the Maryland State Retirement System (Civilian Staff)
- Participation in the 457 Deferred Compensation Plan
- Paid medical, dental and vision coverage for full-time employees, based on plan option selected
- Tuition reimbursement program
- Life insurance up to $50,000
- Supplemental insurance program options
- Additional life insurance benefits through the Police Retirement and Maryland State Retirement plans
- Paid vacation, sick and personal leave