Starting in the late summer, the Takoma Park Recreation Department staff starts preparing for the Monster Bash to include a host of events that are designed for the entire family. The Monster Bash normally kicks off at 1:00 PM with games and music in the public parking lot next to the Co-op., followed by the Costume Parade and Contest down Carroll Ave and we will end the festivities with the Costume Award Ceremony and Celebration in Old Town Takoma Park.
In case of inclement weather:
- Call the Inclement Weather Line at 301-891-7101 ext. 5605.
- All Monster Bash activities will take place at Piney Branch Elementary School
- Street closures/detours will be lifted
Monster Bash 2018 Event Information
Monster Bash Volunteers Needed!
Calling all adults & teens: If you would like to volunteer for this event, please register through Montgomery Serves or call 301-891-7290.
Monster Bash Street Closures/Bus Detours
Walking is encouraged due to street closures and parade route. In order to hold the event and ensure patron safety, we anticipate the following road blockages:
- The public parking lot next to the TPSS Co-op will be closed from 11:00 AM – 3:00 PM.
- The intersections of Carroll Avenue/Ethan Allen and Carroll Avenue/Philadelphia Avenue will be closed from 11:00 AM – 3:00 PM.
- Rolling road closures will be at the following intersections: Park Avenue/Carroll Avenue, Columbia Avenue/Carroll Avenue & Tulip Avenue/Carroll Avenue from 1:30 PM – 4:00 PM;
- There will be continuous road blocks at the following intersections; Westmoreland Avenue/Carroll Avenue, Carroll Avenue/Laurel Avenue, Carroll Avenue/ Willow Avenue & Laurel Avenue/Eastern Avenue from 2:00PM – 5:30PM.
- Ride On and Metrobus service will be interrupted on the aforementioned streets from 11:00 AM – 7:00 PM.
- We are expecting to re-open the streets by 6:00 PM.
- During the time of the street closure you will not be able to enter or exit your driveway.
- From 11:30 AM – 3:00 PM, Philadelphia Avenue detour signs will be placed at Carroll Avenue to direct traffic to Lee Avenue; Maple Avenue and back to Philadelphia Avenue, where drivers will resume their respective routes.
- There will also be a detour sign placed at Maple Avenue/Philadelphia Avenue to assist drivers with getting back onto Carroll Avenue.
- There will also be no parking signs on Lee, Tulip and Willow Avenues.
- Ride On detours are updated here.
- Metro Bus detours are update here.
Please check back closer to the event for an updated list of street closures and detours.
About Monster Bash
This annual event kicks off with games and music in the public parking lot next to the TPSS Co-op located at 201 Ethan Allen Avenue.
Games and music are followed by the costume parade and contest down Carroll Avenue, judging will occur as we walk the parade route. We will end the festivities with the costume award ceremony and celebration in Old Town, at the intersection of Carroll and Laurel Avenues.
Monster Bash Parade Route
Inclement Weather Line
Bad weather? Call the The Recreation Department’s Inclement Weather Line to check for weather closure information.
Call 301-891-7101 ext. 5605 to check for program cancellations due to weather.Call The Inclement Weather Line