Starting in the late summer, the Takoma Park Recreation Department staff starts preparing for the Monster Bash to include a host of events that are designed for the entire family. The Monster Bash event normally kicks off at 1:00 PM with dancing and fun, followed by the Costume Parade and Contest and we will end the festivities with the Costume Award Ceremony and Celebration.
Monster Bash 2023 Event Information
Starting at Takoma Park Middle School Parking Lot
7611 Piney Branch Rd, Takoma Park, MD 20912
NEW THIS YEAR! Parading down Philadelphia Ave. will begin lining up at 2:00 PM and wind down Piney Branch Road to Philadelphia Ave., traveling all the way to Maple Ave in front of the Community Center.
Culminating event on Maple (from Philadelphia to Lee Ave)
Saturday, October 28, 2023
1:00 – 4:00 PM (ending time is approx.)
Event Information in:
Monster Bash Volunteers Needed!
Calling all adults & teens: If you would like to volunteer for this event, please register through Montgomery Serves or call 301-891-7290. Opportunities include judging the costume parade, working games, handing out snacks and many, many more!
Monster Bash Street Closures/Bus Detours
Walking is encouraged due to limited parking.
In order to hold the event and ensure patron safety, we will have the following road blockages:
- Piney Branch Road, from Takoma Park Middle School to Philadelphia Avenue, from about 1:30 pm – 2:30 pm, there will be a rolling street closure. The roadway will reopen once all parade participants have cleared the roadway.
- The intersections of Chestnut Avenue/Grant Avenue, Philadelphia Avenue/Piney Branch Road, Philadelphia Avenue/Chestnut Avenue, Philadelphia Avenue/Holly Avenue, Philadelphia Avenue/Birch Avenue, Philadelphia Avenue/Cedar Avenue, Philadelphia Avenue/Old Philadelphia Avenue and will have rolling closures between 1:45 pm – 3:00 pm.
- Some residents will not be able to exit their neighborhoods while streets are closed for the parade (Hodges Lane, Chestnut Avenue, Holly Avenue, Darwin Avenue, and Grant Avenue) and during the culminating event on Maple (from Philadelphia to Lee)
- Once the parade concludes, all street closures on Philadelphia Avenue will be lifted.
- Maple Avenue from Philadelphia Avenue to Lee Avenue will be closed 1:30 pm – 6:00 pm through the event. Lee Avenue will still be open for vehicular traffic.
- Residents along Maple Avenue (Philadelphia Ave. to Lee Ave.) will not be able to exit along Maple through the event.
- Ahead of the event, detour signs will be placed on Maple Avenue and Piney Branch Road with expected closures and times.
- There will also be no parking signs in the Community Center back parking lot and along Maple Avenue between Philadelphia Avenue and Lee Avenue.
- Ride-On and Metro bus service (including Metro Access) will be interrupted on the aforementioned streets from 11:00 am – 7:00 pm.
- In the event of inclement weather, the Monster Bash will be moved inside Takoma Park Middle School, and there will not be any road closures.
Detour signs will be posted and Police will be directing traffic at the main intersections.
Ride On and Metrobus service will be interrupted on the aforementioned streets from 12:00 PM – 7:00 PM.
Maple Ave. will be closed from Philadelphia Ave. to Lee Ave for the duration of the event (inc. set up and clean up)
We are expecting to re-open the streets by 6:00 PM.
In case of inclement weather:
- Call the Inclement Weather Line at 301-891-7101 ext. 5605.
- Check the City social media sites for updates
- All Monster Bash activities will take place at Takoma Park Middle School
- Street closures/detours will be lifted
About Monster Bash
The City of Takoma Park Recreation Department will host our traditional Monster Bash on Saturday, October 28!
Please join us for the day’s event:
- The Kickoff for Monster Bash will be in the parking lot of Takoma Park Middle School from 1:00 PM – 2:00 PM. There will be a DJ and roving entertainment, Trunk-or-Treat and a magic show. (See below for information on our new Trunk-or-Treat component.)
- The Costume Contest and Parade will begin lining up at 2:00 PM and wind down Piney Branch Road to Philadelphia Ave., traveling all the way to Maple Ave in front of the Community Center.
- A local band will perform from 2:30 PM – 4:00 PM along with announcing the Costume Contest winners, a selfie station, games and more roving entertainment.
Trunk-or-Treat at the Kickoff Event
The Recreation Department is looking for businesses/non-profits that would like to participate in a Trunk-or-Treat event as part of Monster Bash. Decorate the trunk of your vehicle or a table and hand out treats to the kids as they walk by. Set up by 12:30pm as event starts at 1pm. To reserve your space email ChelseaN@takomaparkmd.gov
The City Guide is Here!
Learn about Circle Time, sign up for a class, or find out about family friendly events... it's all in the City Guide!Click here to view the most recent City Guide
Inclement Weather Line
Bad weather? Call the The Recreation Department’s Inclement Weather Line to check for weather closure information.
Call 301-891-7101 ext. 5605 to check for program cancellations due to weather.Call The Inclement Weather Line