Electrification and Energy Efficiency Grants
MULTIFAMILY BUILDING GRANT FOR ELECTRIFICATION & BUILDING IMPROVEMENTS
Applications for the Multifamily Building Grant for Electrification & Building Improvements are no longer being accepted at this time.
The City of Takoma Park has made $750,000 available in American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 (ARPA ) funding for FY23 to assist multifamily, condominium, and cooperative building owners in electrification and building improvements.
How to Apply
Please submit applications via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. If email is not an option, mail or drop it off at this address:
City of Takoma Park
Attn: Sustainability Manager, Gina Mathias 31 Oswego Drive
Silver Spring, MD 20910
The application closed on Thursday, September 1, 2022.
The grant can be used for projects that support the transition away from fossil fuel-based systems and that improve major building systems. Preferred projects include but are not limited to:
- Replacing natural gas, propane, or heating oil equipment and appliances with electric or non-fossil-fuel-based alternatives. This includes EnergyStar Certified high-efficiency heating and cooling (HVAC), heat pump water heaters, electric dryers, induction and electric cooktops, and electric convection ovens. EnergyStar-certified options are required unless there is a financial or availability hardship to consider.
- Electrification project costs may include panel and wiring work if they are required. Stand-alone electrical upgrades or rewiring, not part of an electrification project, are not eligible.
Eligible Uses (Continued)
- Repair of Replacement of:
- Plumbing and Septic
- HVAC systems
- Heating/cooling systems
- Elevator and stairs
- Fire extinguishing equipment
- Structural rehabilitation
- Accessibility aids such as hand railings, ramps, grab bars, and wider doorways
- Seal air and the whole building envelope
- Bicycle parking and storage
- Purchase of additional garbage bins
- Correct building code violations:
- Moisture and mildew remediation
- Unsafe or unsecured structures
- Broken windows, missing doors, collapsed roofs, unsafe steps, or rotting porches
- Chipping peeling paint and deteriorating wood
- Missing or damaged fencing or other site improvements
The Electrification and Building Improvement Grant is intended for any building owner or property manager of a multifamily, condominium, or cooperative residential building that contains two (2) or more units and is located within the City of Takoma Park. Previous City of Takoma Park grant recipients may apply.
This grant does not apply to recently completed projects, it is only for new projects that have not started construction.
Award Determination & Amount
The City anticipates awarding maximum grant amounts of up to $49,999 per multifamily, condominium, or cooperative building. The City reserves the right to revise the maximum award amount after determining the number of eligible applications received, the number of units in a building, and the work that is being proposed.
Questions about Sustainability or Electrification projects may be directed to Gina Mathias, Sustainability Manager email@example.com, 301-891-7623.
Questions about Building Improvement projects may be directed to Makena Kirkham, HCD Coordinator firstname.lastname@example.org, 301-891-7219.