Chance of Severe Weather for our Region today, Thursday, July 28 - Be prepared - here are some tips!
The National Weather Service has advised that a chance of severe weather for our region. Some storms could be severe, with large hail, damaging winds, and heavy showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm from any time after 2 pm to midnight, most likely occurring during the evening rush hour. The National Weather Service along with local news stations continue to track and monitor the storm. Please pay attention to the weather forecast today.
During a severe storm with potential for tornadoes, we encourage you to remain indoors and move to the center of your home or business, preferably in a basement or the first floor. Please use caution if driving or walking through the City. Do not approach downed utility wires.
- It is also recommended that you secure any loose items outside that could be blown away with strong winds, clear any areas around the home that allows for water runoff, and be prepared for fallen trees and power outages.
- For any storm-related emergencies, including any injury, tree into a structure, or downed power lines that could still be electrified, call 911.
- To report trees down in the roadway blocking traffic, call the Takoma Park Police Department at the non-emergency number, 301-270-1100.
- For power outages and to check estimated restoration times, call Pepco at 1-877-737-2662 or visit their power outage webpage at https://www.pepco.com/
- To report downed branches and other debris in the public right of way – roadways or sidewalks – contact Takoma Park Public Works at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-891-7633.
- For issues with cable lines or internet, call your service provider.