Cleaning Cloth masks
- You can include your mask with your regular laundry.
- Use regular laundry detergent and the warmest appropriate water setting for the cloth used to make the mask.
Washing by hand
- Prepare a bleach solution by mixing:
- tablespoons (1/3rd cup) household bleach per gallon of room temperature water or
- 4 teaspoons household bleach per quart of room temperature water
- Soak the mask in the bleach solution for 5 minutes.
- Rinse thoroughly with cool or room temperature water.
Important Note: Check the label to see if your bleach is intended for disinfection. Some bleach products, such as those designed for safe use on colored clothing, may not be suitable for disinfection. Ensure the bleach product is not past its expiration date. Never mix household bleach with ammonia or any other cleanser.
- Use the highest heat setting and leave in the dryer until completely dry.
- Lay flat and allow to completely dry.
- If possible, place the mask in direct sunlight.
For more information on cloth masks, visit the CDC site.
—Ron Hardy, Emergency Preparedness Manager/Police Planning, City of Takoma Park
This article originally appeared in the September 2020 Takoma Park Newsletter.