Cycle safe in Takoma Park
More and more people are riding bicycles in Takoma Park and the entire Washington region. Remember, bicyclists are considered vehicle operators; they are required to obey the same rules of the road as other vehicle operators, obeying traffic signs, signals and lane markings. It is so important to follow safety rules while riding a bicycle, especially when riding near motor vehicles. Please use the following safety tips while riding your bike:
- Always wear a helmet.
- Obey all traffic controls (including stopping at stop signs).
- Ride near the right-hand edge of the road.
- Never carry another person on your bicycle.
- Always use hand signals when turning or stopping.
- Watch for cars at cross streets, driveways and parking areas.
- Be careful when checking traffic and don’t swerve when looking over your shoulder.
- Give pedestrians the right-of-way.
- Keep your bicycle in good condition.
This article appeared in the August 2015 edition of the Takoma Park Newsletter. The Takoma Park Newsletter is available for download here.