Moving Day Has Arrived! A New Chapter in the Library's Story
Finally! Construction is about to begin on the new library building. After years of planning and debate, it’s really happening. Everyone at the library and computer center is looking forward to more space for books, staff, and patrons, as well as a new building that is ADA compliant and up to code. While we wait for our new building to be built, we must have someplace to call home, someplace for our patrons to visit and find books and other materials.
The library and computer center are closed for the entire month of September as we prepare to move into new, temporary space. Check our website for the new location’s address. We anticipate opening there at the beginning of October. Here’s what you need to know while we are closed:
- We will automatically renew any materials you have checked out until the temporary location opens.
- Please do not try to return books! Hold onto your materials until the temporary location opens. If you have special circumstances, such as moving away, please email us, and we will make arrangements for your books’ return.
- All our online resources will be available during the closure. If you need help with them, email us.
- Books-to-Go (curbside) and Books-to-You (delivery for Takoma Park residents only) will be suspended during the move.
- For printing needs, Montgomery County Libraries have wireless printing available for a small fee. Closer to the Community Center, there are some local businesses that provide this service. Takoma Business Center at 7304 Carroll Ave., the UPS Store at 6955 Willow Ave. NW, and Community Printing at 6979 Maple St. NW, are a few.
- Programs! Canta Juego will continue online. Jump Start with the Arts will be held outdoors in the held on Maple Ave. at Sligo Creek Parkway; Yard Dramas, Wednesdays at 11 a.m., will be at Crossroads Farmers Market. All other programs will be suspended until the library opens in the temporary location. See www. tinyurl.com/tplibraryevents.
- The Child & YA Team will take some time to adjust to the new space and reimagine programming in the future. Regular programs, like Neighborhood Circle Time and Scribbler’s Cabal: Sketch Club will be on hiatus until further notice. Please share your feedback to help shape the future of our programs by filling out our survey!
Here’s what you need to know once we’re open at the new location:
- Check our website for program information, including locations and start dates.
- The hours will be the same as at the old building: Monday – Thursday, 10 a.m. – 8 p.m.; Friday – Sunday, 12–6 p.m. The library and computer center now have the same hours.
- The phone number (301-891-7259) will remain the same.
- Books-to-Go (curbside) and Books-to-You (delivery for Takoma Park residents only) will resume when the library reopens.
You can always reach us by email, and if you have questions about the move or the new building, email us at email@example.com!
This article was featured in the September 2022 Newsletter. Visit the Takoma Park Newsletter webpage to see the full list of past newsletters.