Takoma Park Youth Council: Applications Open!
In Takoma Park, we believe that everyone should be able to have their voices heard, no matter their age!
Keeping to this idea, the City Council has newly established a Takoma Park Youth Council to provide an opportunity for the youth in our community to actively participate in their government.
How will I serve?
The Youth Council, will serve their fellow youth by:
- informing the Takoma Park municipal government of the needs and wishes of youth
- planning and implementing social, educational, cultural and recreational activities for the youth;
- working with the Mayor, City Council, City department heads, schools, civic clubs and service organizations to provide service and leadership opportunities for the youth of the City; and,
- helping to instill a feeling of positive self-worth and esteem, teaching respect for the rights of others, and promoting community pride.
Who are we looking for?
YOU! The Youth Council will consist of nine members in grades 7 through 12, with at least one member representing each of Takoma Park’s six wards. Additionally, members must meet the following qualifications:
- remain residents of the City and the ward they may represent;
- attend at least 75% of Youth Council meetings;
- maintain at least a 2.5 grade point average for the current school year;
- fulfill the responsibilities of the office held; and,
- set an example for youth in the community.
How can I apply?
We’re so excited that you’re ready to be the voice for your friends and peers! Applications can be completed and submitted to the City Clerk online by visiting this link. Please submit applications by Friday, October 13, 2017.
We’re thrilled to begin this new initiative and can’t wait to see the Youth Council in action. For a complete overview of the expectations, duties, and responsibilities please visit this page.