Driveway Apron Permit
The City of Takoma Park requires a permit if you plan to construct or alter your driveway apron. Details on the application process and costs are on this page.
A driveway apron is the width of pavement that crosses the City right-of-way between the street curb and private property and is intended as an entranceway or exit. The installation or replacement of a driveway apron requires a permit from the City of Takoma Park.
NOTE: Replacement or installation of a driveway beyond the apron may require a construction permit from Montgomery County.
If you are located in the Historic District, you must apply for a Historic Area Work Permit.
The applicant must contact Public Works at 301-891-7611 to schedule an appointment for the Public Works inspector to review the forms and grade and provide final approval before pouring the apron concrete. Driveway apron requirements are:
- Driveway aprons for single-family homes and apartments can have a maximum width of 24 percent of the property frontage, or 20 feet, whichever is less; and a minimum width of 10 feet where the property line and City right-of-way meet.
- The width of the driveway apron at the curb line can be 8 feet wider than the width at the property line to allow for 4 foot-wide apron wings on either side of the apron.
- Replacement of an existing driveway apron is exempt from the size limitations, provided that the length of the new apron is the same as the one it is replacing and is installed in the same location.
- Cement concrete shall be used for installing or replacing driveway aprons.
- Driveway aprons cannot be installed within 3 feet of a tree planted in the City right-of-way.
After receipt of a completed application and required fee, a Public Works inspector will review the application. The Public Works inspector visits the site to review the lot to determine if the applicant has met City requirements for a driveway apron. The City uses the Montgomery County guidelines for driveway aprons. If all requirements are met, the inspector approves the permit, and the applicant is notified. Upon receipt of approval notification, the applicant can obtain a permit from the Public Works Department.
The applicant should contact the Arborist at 301-891-7612 if a tree is within 50 feet of the intended driveway area.
Driveway Apron Permit Fees
- $50.00 Permit Fee
How to Apply for a Driveway Apron Permit:
- Start your Driveway Apron Permit Application using the MyTKPK web portal by following this link:
- Click ‘Create Account’ and enter your information if you have not previously used the system. If you have already created an account, log in with your associated account’s email address.
- Follow the prompts to provide the required information, including attaching any relevant drawings or documents, and submit.
- An automatically sent email will notify you that the application fee invoice is ready to be paid. Click the application number link in the email (W000001-010122) or log back into MyTKPK to view your in-progress application. There will now be a button titled ‘View Invoices’ next to your application. Click this and follow the prompts to pay the invoice. With the inspection fee paid, your request will now be in the queue for the City Staff to review.
- Note! You may need to adjust your internet browser settings to allow ‘pop-ups’ from the MyTKPK page for the invoice payment page to load correctly.
- Please allow 5-7 business days for the City Staff to review your submission. Then, you will receive a response by email with the City’s determination and any required next steps.
- Note that you may not start Work until you have received notice from the City of Takoma Park stating that you have received your permit.