The City of Takoma Park requires that all multifamily and commercial properties provide tenants an opportunity to recycle. This page is geared towards single family homes receiving curbside collection. If you live in an apartment or are a business owner visit the Business & Multifamily Recycling page for details on recycling requirements in Takoma Park.
The Public Works Department collects household recycling from all single family homes and most small apartment buildings within the City of Takoma Park. Residential recycling collection is a curbside collection service and is offered once a week.
Important Recycling Collection Information
- The recycling collection schedule is subject to holiday changes. The Holiday Collection Schedule page details how the schedule is set and when collection dates are changed due to a holiday.
- Recycling collection service begins at 6:30 AM.
- Recycling should be set out in recycling bins the night before your household’s collection day.
- Bottles, jars, and cans should be placed together in recycling bins.
- Rinse or clean out items before placing in the recycling bin.
- Paper should be bundled in a paper bag or tied with string before being placed in or beside recycling bins. This prevents paper from blowing out of bins or trucks.
Detailed information about what can and cannot be recycled in Takoma Park is available below.
Public Works also offers electronics recycling and collection of CFL (compact fluorescent lamp) bulbs. These are the “pigtail”/spiral style only, no fluorescent tubes accepted. Electronic waste and CFL bulbs must be brought directly to the Public Works Facility. See the Electronics Recycling section below for details.
New and replacement recycling bins are available from Public Works.
Residents that need new or replacement bin should call Public Works at 301-891-7633, or come to the Public Works Facility during office hours. The Public Works Facility is located at 31 Oswego Avenue, Silver Spring, MD 20910 and is open Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM to 5 PM.
What Can Be Recycled in Takoma Park
Sort it out! Use Takoma Park’s Waste Wizard to check if something can be recycled curbside, should be thrown out, brought to Public Works, or should be safely disposed during our annual Household Hazardous Waste Drop-off Day.
Recycling & Trash Routes Map
Please direct your questions and concerns related to recycling collection to:
Public Works Department
Curbside Collection Services Sections
Georgetown University Energy Prize
First quarter rankings are in — Takoma Park is #29.
Visit our Sustainability page to find out how you can help us get closer to the $5 million prize!Help us win!
Food Waste Collection
Our curbside food waste collection program is so easy a a chihuahua can do it!
(...and you get free compost!)Sign me up!