The Public Works Department collects household trash from all single family homes and most small apartment buildings within the City of Takoma Park. Residential trash collection is a curbside collection service and is offered once a week.
Important Trash Collection Information
- The trash collection schedule is subject to holiday changes. The Holiday Collection Schedule page details how the schedule is set and when collection dates are changed due to a holiday.
- Trash collection service begins at 6:30 AM.
- Trash should be set out in cans with lids the night before your household’s collection day.
- There is a fifty pound weight limit on trash cans.
- Unacceptable items will remain on the curb. See the Not Accepted Trash Collection Items heading below for details.
- Don’t have a trash can? Public Works has trash carts for sale. See the Trash Carts for Sale heading below for details.
- Furniture, appliances or other large items require an appointment and payment of a fee. See the Large Item Pickup heading below for details.
Not sure when your collection day is? Check the map below for more info.
Large Item Pickup
Heavy items like appliances, mattresses, and furniture are picked up by appointment only. There is a $10 charge for the collection of up to three items. To schedule a pick up please call Public Works at 301-891-7633.
Refrigerant containing appliances (refrigerators, freezers and air conditioners) require special handling and Public Works does not collect them. You can self-haul or hire a private hauler to take freon containing appliances to the Montgomery County Transfer Station.
Trash Carts for Sale
Public Works has 96 and 64 gallon trash carts available for sale. Carts have lids, wheels, and handles.
Trash Cart Pricing
- $61.72 | 96 gallon trash carts
- $55.36 | 64 gallon trash carts
How to Purchase Trash Carts
Check or Money Order: Check or money order payments can be made at the Public Works Facility. The Public Works Facility is located at 31 Oswego Avenue, Silver Spring, MD 20910.
Cash or Credit: Cash and credit payments must be made at the Finance Department’s payment counter located at the Takoma Park Community Center – Sam Abbott Citizens’ Center on the third floor. The Community Center is located at 7500 Maple Avenue, Takoma Park, MD 20912.
Trash carts can be picked up at the Public Works Facility during office hours, 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM, Monday through Friday. Arrangements can be made to deliver the cart once payment has been received if you do not have a vehicle large enough to haul the trash cart.
What Gets Put in Curbside Trash in Takoma Park
Sort it out! Use Takoma Park’s Waste Wizard to check if something can be recycled curbside, should be thrown out, brought to Public Works, or should be safely disposed during our annual Household Hazardous Waste Drop-off Day.
Recycling & Trash Routes Map
Large Item Pickup
To schedule a pick up please call Public Works.
Curbside Collection Services Sections
The Safe Grow law restricts the use of cosmetic lawn pesticides on both private and public property throughout Takoma Park.Learn About Safe Grow
Plastic Bags No Longer Accepted Curbside
As of July 1, 2015 plastic film and plastic bags can no longer accepted in the City's collection curbside recycling program.Curbside Recycling Details