Flower Avenue Green Street Project
About the Flower Avenue Green Street Project
The City has selected the E&R Services for the project construction. Construction is scheduled to begin on April 29, 2019. The project includes traffic calming, pedestrian improvements, bus stop improvements, energy efficient lighting and stormwater management features.
Current Project Status
In accordance with City procurement procedures, the Public Works Department issued an RFP for the construction of the Flower Avenue Green Street Project and received four bids. Out of the four bidders, City Staff recommended E&R Services to be the lowest qualified responsible bidder.
In June, 27, 2018 the City council approved the staff recommendation to enter into the contract with E&R Services. Here is the link to approved ordinance: Ordinance
Construction for the project will begin in late April, 2019. The City will host a construction kick-off meeting in early March, 2019. Information about the construction schedule and maintenance of traffic will be provided on the meeting. Invitation for the meeting will be mailed to all the homeowners and residents within the project area.
Project Lead & Contact Info
Consultant Project Engineer
Flower Avenue Green Street Project Details
Project Info & Timeline
- Thursday, April 11, 7 pm: Construction Kickoff Meeting at Wilkinson Hall (7600 Flower Avenue, Takoma Park, 20912)
- September 2018: Contract Award to E&R Services
- June 2018: Project Award
- Wednesday, February 7, 2018: Mandatory pre-bid meeting will be conducted on Wednesday, February 7, 2018 at 10:00 am. It will be held in the Public Works Conference Room located at 31 Oswego Avenue, Silverspring, Maryland, 20910
- Wednesday, March 21, 2018: Qualification and Bids are due in separate sealed envelopes by 3:30 pm.
- Wednesday, March 28, 2018: Review Qualifications, (Notify Bidders only if they do not meet Qualifications)
- Monday, April 2, 2018: Bid Opening at 2:30 pm.
- Takoma Park’s role in project: Lead
- Departments involved: Public Works
Budget & Funding Source
Budget: $7,020,720 (Estimate)
- Streetscape Design Cost: $622,938
- WSSC Design: $263,216
- Streetscape Construction Cost: $3,177,533 (Include Construction Inspection)
- WSSC Construction: $2,957,033
Funding Source: Grant and City Funds
Grant Amount and Source:
- State Highway Administration: $696,000
- Montgomery County: $200,000
- TAP Funding: $1,040,330
- National Fish and Wildlife: $168,750
- CDBG Block Grant: $284,230
- City Fund: $ 1,411,161
Links & Notes
About Flower Avenue
- Two-lane, two-way roadway with posted speed limit of 25 miles per hour; traffic study found 85% of vehicles travelling along Flower Avenue 10 mph over the posted limit.
- Three bus routes (Ride-On) with 16 bus stops in the corridor, eight in each direction.
- The eastern side of the street lacks sidewalks and the sidewalk along the western side is in need of renovation. Limited crosswalks.
- Flower Avenue has no stormwater infrastructure. There are two inlets opposite each other on Flower near Domer, serving a pipe that runs perpendicular to the street. The water is shunted into Sligo Creek and Long Branch Creek without slowing or filtering. There are no other inlets for the full length of the Flower Avenue project area. All other stormwater on Flower Avenue simply runs onto side streets or private property. In order to address the stormwater issues, the project proposes low-impact stormwater retention facilities.
Project Directory Sections
Inclement Weather Line
Bad weather? Call the The Recreation Department’s Inclement Weather Line to check for weather closure information.
Call 301-891-7101 ext. 5605 to check for program cancellations due to weather.Call The Inclement Weather Line