Flower Avenue Green Street Project
About the Flower Avenue Green Street Project
The City is developing a design for green street features on a 1 mile section of Flower Avenue. The project includes traffic calming, pedestrian improvements, bus stop improvements, energy efficient lighting and stormwater management features.
Current Project Status
90% design is completed and we expect to complete 100% by September,2016. The City expects to advertise the project for construction by end of 2016. Construction is expected to begin by summer, 2017, and be completed in 12 to 18 months.
Project Lead & Contact Info
Consultant Project Engineer
Flower Avenue Green Street Project Details
Project Info & Timeline
- Target start date: Summer 2017
- Takoma Park’s role in project: Lead
- Departments involved: Public Works
Budget & Funding Source
Budget: $3,131,288 (Estimate)
- Design Cost: $459,982 (Estimate)
- Construction Cost: $2,671,306 (Estimate)
Funding Source: Grant and City Funds
Grant Amount and Source:
- State Highway Administration: $696,000
- Montgomery County: $200,000
- TAP Funding: $1,040,330
- National Fish and Wildlife: $168,750
Links & Notes
About Flower Avenue
- Two lane, two way roadway with posted speed limit of 25 miles per hour; traffic study found 85% of vehicles traveling along Flower Avenue 10 mph over the posted limit.
- Three bus routes (Ride-On) with 16 bus stops in the corridor, eight in each direction.
- The eastern side of the street lacks sidewalks and the sidewalk along the western side is in need of renovation. Limited crosswalks.
- Flower Avenue has no stormwater infrastructure. There are two inlets opposite each other on Flower near Domer, serving a pipe that runs perpendicular to the street. The water is shunted into Sligo Creek and Long Branch Creek without slowing or filtering. There are no other inlets for the full length of the Flower Avenue project area. All other stormwater on Flower Avenue simply runs onto side streets or private property. In order to address the stormwater issues, the project proposes low-impact stormwater retention facilities.
Project Directory Sections
Inclement Weather Line
Bad weather? Call the The Recreation Department’s Inclement Weather Line to check for weather closure information.
Call 301-891-7101 ext. 5605 to check for program cancellations due to weather.Call The Inclement Weather Line