Library and Community Center Renovation
Vision for a 21st Century Library
“At the dawn of the 21st century, where knowledge
is literally power, where it unlocks the gates of
opportunity and success, we all have
responsibilities…to instill in our children a love of
reading so that we can give them a chance to fulfill
their dreams.” – Barack Obama
A New Chapter Begins…
The new Takoma Park Maryland Library, new Computer Center, and improved Community Center facilities are happening at last. After years of conversations and planning, we have dates on the calendar that will impact Library, Computer Center, Senior Room, Multi-Media Lab, Community Center and our patrons.
Important Information and Dates
Reopening of new Temporary Library:
- The temporary Library location will be announced shortly
- We anticipate being closed for approximately four weeks as we pack up all of the Library and Computer Center materials, move them to the new space, and get them ready for our patrons to use
- We plan on reopening by October 3, 2022, with everything set to welcome visitors again.
By relocating to a temporary space during construction, we can ensure that our books, media, and computers will be available throughout this project.
We will continue to offer:
- Books to Go curbside pickup at the new location
- Books to You deliveries to Takoma Park residents.
Ask Questions or Express Concerns:
A new email address has been created for the community to ask questions or express concerns. This will be monitored by Library staff. Email: new library
Please use this QR Code to see news and updates
- September 19, 2022 –Site work to begin
- October 3, 2022 (anticipated): The Library and Computer Center will reopen at the new location
- April 2024 (anticipated): The Library and Computer Center will open the new facilities and welcome everyone back to 101 Philadelphia Avenue
- Phase 2 – Community Center Renovations – More information to come
Informational Community Meeting
Monday, August 22, 2022
7:00 pm – 8:00 pm
Community Center in the Auditorium
7500 Maple Avenue
Takoma Park, MD 20912
Wednesday, August 24, 2022, will be the last day to visit the Library and Computer Center before we relocate to a temporary space for the duration of construction.
- We anticipate being closed for about a month, so stock up on reading material, now through 8 pm on August 24, 2022
- Checked-out items will automatically renew
- Fines are not accruing
- Book Drop is unavailable during the closure; please keep your books at home
- All online resources will remain available during the Library closure. For questions and support, email library staff:
Library email (email@example.com)
Frequently Asked Questions
Visit this page to get answers on everything you need to know about the project.
Q. Where will the library be during the renovation?
- The temporary location will be announced soon.
Q. What will happen to the mural?
- The mural is an iconic symbol of the library, and it will be carefully dismantled and preserved, then incorporated into the new building.
Q. Will my books be overdue?
- We are extending renewals until the temporary location opens.
Q. How can I return my books?
- Please hold onto your books until the temporary location opens. If you have special circumstances, such as moving away, please email us and we will make arrangements for your books’ return.
Q. Can I still use Hoopla or Freading while the library is closed?
- Of course! All of our online resources will be available during the closure.
Q. Where can I go for printing during your closure?
- Montgomery County Libraries have wireless printing available; closer to the Community Center, there are a few local businesses that provide this service:
- Takoma Business Center
7304 Carroll Avenue
- UPS Store
6955 Willow Avenue, NW
- Community Printing
6979 Maple Street, NW
Q. What will happen to library programs?
- Spanish circle time/Canta Juego will continue online; Jump Start with the Arts will be held outdoors in a location TBA; Yard Dramas, Wednesdays at 11am, will be at Crossroads Farmers Market. All other programs will be suspended until the library opens in the temporary location.