MDOT SHA Takoma Junction Vision Study
The Maryland Department of Transportation, State Highway Administration has committed to work with the City of Takoma Park to develop a vision for the intersections and traffic of the Takoma Junction.
In 2019, the SHA initiated a vision study of transportation needs at Takoma Junction, the intersection of MD 195 (Carroll Avenue) and MD 410 (Philadelphia Avenue/Carroll Avenue/Ethan Allen Avenue) in Takoma Park. The goal is for SHA to engage the public to develop a vision for Takoma Junction roadways and transportation and to publish a final report that will be available to the public to facilitate implementation strategies for potential future improvements. The vision study will be completed in 2019.
Click here to take the Takoma Junction Vision Study Community Values Survey. Survey closes at 11:59 p.m. on June 10.
Takoma Junction Vision Study June Workshops
MDOT SHA will host two different workshops in June for the community to help shape the vision for transportation at Takoma Junction. Location: Takoma Park Seventh Day Adventist Church; 6810 Eastern Avenue, N.W. Washington, D.C. 20012
- Part I – Crafting a Vision Statement; Tuesday, June 4, 6:00 pm – 8:30 pm
- Part II – Bringing the Vision to Life; Monday, June 10, 6 pm – 8:30 pm
Stakeholders Advisory Group Meetings
- Tuesday, April 2, 2019, 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Takoma Park Middle School cafeteria; Minutes
- Tuesday, April 16, 2019, 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Takoma Park Middle School cafeteria. Minutes. Documents
- Monday, May 13, 2019, 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Takoma Park Middle School cafeteria. Minutes
- Tuesday, July 9, 2019, 7:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. Takoma Park Recreation Center
For more information and updates on future opportunities to participate as the study develops, contact Kandese Holford KHolford@sha.state.md.us or view the website: https://www.roads.maryland.gov/Index.aspx?PageId=365
SHA’s list of selected participants in the Stakeholder Advisory Group (SAG):
Rachel Anderson Jessica Landman
Daryl Braithwaite Rick Leonard, Jr.
Jackie Davison Cynthia Mariel
Mimi Diez Lorraine Pearsall
Michael Houston Andrew Strongin
David Koelsch Betsy Taylor
Please note that MDOT SHA will make available a list of meeting attendees and meeting minutes, within one week of each SAG meeting.
The Mayor received a letter from Maryland Department of Transportation State Highway Administrator, Greg Slater, dated September 13, 2018, which states that SHA “is committed to working with the City to develop a vision for Takoma Junction.”
On October 18, 2018 the City, MDOT SHA, and Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission staffs met to discuss potential approaches to conducting a vision study.
Project Lead & Contact Info
Kandese Holford, Regional Planner
Regional and Intermodal Planning Division
Maryland Department of Transportation State Highway Administration
State Highway Administration – Takoma Junction Vision Study Details
Project Info & Timeline
- Current target completion date: 2019
- Takoma Park’s role in project: Liaison
- Departments involved: Housing & Community Development, and Police.
Budget & Funding Source
Budget: State Highway Administration is conducting and funding the study.