Tree Ordinance Review & Tree Canopy Goal
About the Tree Ordinance Review and Tree Canopy Goal:
The City Council Priorities for FY19 included goals to review the City’s Tree Ordinance policies and procedures, as well as formulate a tree canopy goal for the city. Among the areas for focused attention are efforts to preserve and grow the tree canopy through programs and education and identify opportunities for tree retention, maintenance and growth.
Current Project Status
The Council held the first work session discussion on the topic on October 24, 2018 to establish their strategy for moving the effort forward. The Council intends to provide various opportunities for public input and comments through a public forum, Council work sessions and an online comment form (linked to this project page). Of particular interest is hearing about residents’ experiences with the current Tree Ordinance as well as recommendations for modifications.
Project Lead & Contact Info:
For Ordinance and Tree related questions:
Urban Forest Manager, Jan van Zutphen email@example.com, 301 891 7612
For Council Schedule and public comment questions:
City Clerk, Jessie Carpenter, firstname.lastname@example.org, 301 891 7267
Project Information & Timeline
The schedule for public meetings, including Council work sessions, has not yet been determined. Meeting announcements will be added to this page as they are scheduled.
Budget & Funding Source:
The Urban Forest Division budget is included in the Public Works Departmental Budget.
The possible impact of changes to the ordinance or the establishment of a tree canopy goal is unknown at this time. Additional funding to facilitate any changes would be at the discretion of the City Council and usually be developed as part of the annual budget process.
- Tree Canopy Presentation -2019
- Tree Canopy Report-2018
- Tree Ordinance Presentation
- Tree Survey Response
- Tree Removal from 2014-2018 with heat map
- Tree Removal from 2014-2018
- Tree Removed in 2014
- Tree Removed in 2015
- Tree Removed in 2016
- Tree Removed in 2017
- Tree Removed in 2018
Links & Notes
- October 24, 2018 Council Work Session Discussion
- Newsletter Article: Tree Ordinance, Tree Canopy, and Outreach Improvements Jan. 2019
- Tree Canopy Management Strategy- Metropolitan Washington Council of Government, May, 2018
- Urban Tree Canopy Goal Setting- A Guide for Bay Community, 2006
- Takoma Park 2010 Tree Canopy Report
- Bowie Urban Greening Strategy Report – Nov. 2011
- District of Columbia Urban Tree Canopy Plan – Jan, 2013
- Guidelines for Implementing the Chesapeake Bay Program – Urban Community Tree Canopy Goals, March, 2005
- Gypsy Moth Survey Report 2011 – Montgomery County
- Excerpts from Pittsburgh Urban Forest Master Plan
- Excerpts from Syracuse Urban Forest Master Plan