City Offices and Facilities Will Be Closed - In Observance of Memorial Day

City Offices and Facilities will be closed Sunday, May 29, and Monday, May 30, in observance of Memorial Day. As always, the Takoma Park Police Department is open for emergency services. We wish you and your family a safe and happy holiday.

Active Alerts
  • No results found for this search.

Municipality Letters for Construction/Renovation

For most work done in the City of Takoma Park, you need two or perhaps three things: a municipality letter from the City; a building permit from the County; and if the property is located in the Takoma Park historic district, a County Historic Area Work Permit (HAWP).

Any renovation, building, or outdoor  project (such as a fence, deck,  or driveway) that requires a permit from the Montgomery County Department of Permitting Services first requires a Municipality Letter from Takoma Park.  The purpose of the City letter is to inform residents that the City permits for things in addition to the County, specifically tree protection, stormwater management and anything in the City right-of-way (such as a driveway apron, dumpster, or fence).

To obtain a Municipality Letter

Please send a request  to  with the following information :

  • property owner and email/phone
  • address of project
  • name of agent and email/phone (who is pulling the permit)
  • scope of work (such as location on property, dimensions, materials)

There is no fee for the municipality letter. The municipality letter is not a permit.

Failure to comply with the City’s permitting requirements could result in the issuance of a Stop Work Order and other administrative actions within the provisions of the law.

County Permitting Requirements:

If the property is located in the historic district, you will also require a Montgomery County Historic Area Work Permit.

Information regarding Montgomery County building permits is available on-line from Montgomery County Department of Permitting Services.

Takoma Park Permits

Tree Impact Assessment/Tree Protection Plan/Tree Removal Application:

Construction activities that occur within 50 feet of any urban forest tree (7 5/8″ in diameter or greater), located on the property or on an adjacent property, may require a Tree Impact Assessment and Tree Protection Plan.  Make sure to submit a Tree Impact Assessment and schedule a site visit with the City’s Urban Forest Manager if any urban forest tree will be impacted by the proposed construction.  The removal of any urban forest tree will require a tree removal application.  The tree ordinance is detailed in the City Code, section 12.12. For permit information check:   The City’s Urban Forest Manager can be reached at 301-891-7612 or

Stormwater Management:

If you plan to develop or redevelop property, you may be required to provide appropriate stormwater management measures to control or manage runoff, as detailed in City Code section 16.04. All commercial or institutional development in the city must apply for Stormwater Management Permit regardless of the size of the land disturbance. Additions or modifications to existing detached single-family residential properties do not require a Stormwater Management permit if the project does not disturb more than 5,000 square feet of land area.

For more information: The City Engineer should be contacted to determine if a City permit is required at 301-891-7620.

City Right of Way:
  • To place a construction dumpster or storage container temporarily on a City right of way (usually an adjacent road), you will need to obtain a permit. A permit is not required if the dumpster is placed in a privately-owned driveway or parking lot.
  • If you plan to install a new driveway apron, or enlarge or replace an existing driveway apron, you need a Driveway Apron Permit.
  • If you plan to construct a fence in the City right of way, you need to request a Fence Agreement. If approved, the Agreement will be recorded in the Land Records of Montgomery County.

For more information and applications for City permits, see or contact the Takoma Park Department of Public Works at 301-891-7633.



Permits & Licenses Sections